The Student Room Group

unhappy at sixth form

i know its early days but I've been at sixth form for three days and I'm hating it. The lessons are okay, but I'm not really liking the whole system. I'm used to being told what to do and an order, but Instead i've got about three hours of doing nothing. There is no room to sit down in the common room, everyone already seems to have made friends so I always find it awkard when I try and join in. I've been without friends or anyone for over two years and i'm getting sick of it. any advice? i'm really unsure. thanks
Original post by kali8603
i know its early days but I've been at sixth form for three days and I'm hating it. The lessons are okay, but I'm not really liking the whole system. I'm used to being told what to do and an order, but Instead i've got about three hours of doing nothing. There is no room to sit down in the common room, everyone already seems to have made friends so I always find it awkard when I try and join in. I've been without friends or anyone for over two years and i'm getting sick of it. any advice? i'm really unsure. thanks

Hi don't worry too much about sixth form, as you've said it's early days... Don't be too harsh on yourself the transition into sixth form from high school can be a huge one especially if you're an external. Unfortunately, sixth form does require a lot of independent studying which you have to get used to, it isn't easy but the more experience you have the more easier it would get trust me :smile: this is only the first couple of days, and once you settle down you'll get the hang of things (coming from someone who just done their A-levels) everyone is in pretty much the same boat as you don't forget that and take things with a pinch of salt that always helps, try not to be too hard on yourself.

As for making friends, it took me a couple of weeks to truly find my friendship group, so it just takes time and the best way to go about this is to be patient and just be yourself, don't force yourself into conversations if you really don't feel connection with a certain group of people because that can just make things more awkward for you and for everyone else if ygm. Maybe just start out with talking to some of your classmates in your subjects, maybe the person sitting next to you, or another shy bean in your class, just anyone that you think might be a little bit friendly that's what I always did and that helped me :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending