The Student Room Group

Second degree

Hello,
I have previously graduated with a foundation degree, this course was only two years long. But I have realised actually I don’t want to do that in life anymore and want to go down a different career path and when looking for jobs they want me to have a degree in their area. Would student finance still give me a loan if it is my second degree? This one would be a BA hons degree.
Original post by Livvyhopexx
Hello,
I have previously graduated with a foundation degree, this course was only two years long. But I have realised actually I don’t want to do that in life anymore and want to go down a different career path and when looking for jobs they want me to have a degree in their area. Would student finance still give me a loan if it is my second degree? This one would be a BA hons degree.

With 2 years previous study then any new course would get no tuition fee loan for the first year. You’d still get a maintenance loan for all years and a tuition fee loan for second and later years.
Original post by Livvyhopexx
Hello,

Hello,

As you have a lower level qualification and now wish to ‘top up’ to an Honours degree, we use the following calculation to work out the number of years you’re eligible to funding.
Length of new course (or three, whichever is longest) + one year* years spent on preliminary courses = Remaining entitlement (awarded to the final years of your course) * Or the ordinary duration of the preliminary course(s) minus one, if the preliminary course(s) was three years or more. So if the new course is 3 years in length the calculation would be 3+1-2=2, the remaining years of entitlement are awarded to the final years of your course.

A preliminary course is one of the following:
•Certificate of Higher Education
•Diploma of Higher Education
•Higher National Certificate
•Higher National Diploma
•Foundation Degree

Thanks, Lynsey.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending