Dreading final year of uni Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I'm going to my final year of my sociology course and I'm dreading it. I get mediocre grades even though I put effort into my work. Because of this I don't even know how I'm gonna manage doing a dissertation because I've also realised while doing my course that I really, really hate researching too. Don't have a clue what I'm going to do after I graduate (most likely with a 2:2. I don't think I'm good at anything either and I'm very introverted and shy).

I don't really have any friends to look forward to seeing. I have one friend who commutes but don't meet regularly since they have a part time job too. I have no friends on my course, I made an effort with people but nothing ever came out of it.

I'm just feeling overall, really down. Nothing is going right in my life. Not academically, relationship wise (friendship, family or romantically). I've been comfort eating a lot and have gained 10kg in the past few months so now I hate my body too and feel disgusting.

I don't have any hope for the future. I really don't see the point anymore. Nothing is changing for me. I've already been to the gp and uni mental health services, for the binge eating and low mood. They weren't any help if I'm being honest.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 week ago
First of all you have a bright future ahead of you as you are getting a degree in sociology and can do so much depending on what you like , this is some of what I’ve found. Charity officer, Civil Service administrator, Family support worker, Housing manager/officer, Human resources officer, Life coach

Newspaper journalist, Police officer, Probation officer
Public relations officer. I know there’s so much more options , you can also do your masters in another subject. You are smart which is why you are at uni , I suggest you start your dissertation as soon as possible and make sure you talk to your designated tutor, ( not sure what they called but who ever looks at your work ) , just make sure you see him/her regularly and get it checked as much as you can

(Original post by Anonymous)
I'm going to my final year of my sociology course and I'm dreading it. I get mediocre grades even though I put effort into my work. Because of this I don't even know how I'm gonna manage doing a dissertation because I've also realised while doing my course that I really, really hate researching too. Don't have a clue what I'm going to do after I graduate (most likely with a 2:2. I don't think I'm good at anything either and I'm very introverted and shy).

I don't really have any friends to look forward to seeing. I have one friend who commutes but don't meet regularly since they have a part time job too. I have no friends on my course, I made an effort with people but nothing ever came out of it.

I'm just feeling overall, really down. Nothing is going right in my life. Not academically, relationship wise (friendship, family or romantically). I've been comfort eating a lot and have gained 10kg in the past few months so now I hate my body too and feel disgusting.

I don't have any hope for the future. I really don't see the point anymore. Nothing is changing for me. I've already been to the gp and uni mental health services, for the binge eating and low mood. They weren't any help if I'm being honest.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 week ago
This year might be better for you , there will be people who are even more nervous than you so just try to act confident. Just try to be more social and try to make friends with people outside your class
First of all you have a bright future ahead of you as you are getting a degree in sociology and can do so much depending on what you like , this is some of what I’ve found. Charity officer, Civil Service administrator, Family support worker, Housing manager/officer, Human resources officer, Life coach

Newspaper journalist, Police officer, Probation officer
Public relations officer. I know there’s so much more options , you can also do your masters in another subject. You are smart which is why you are at uni , I suggest you start your dissertation as soon as possible and make sure you talk to your designated tutor, ( not sure what they called but who ever looks at your work ) , just make sure you see him/her regularly and get it checked as much as you can

江山此刻波澜壮阔
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I felt the same too. I think maybe your social anxiety prevented you from academically improvement. I did almost the same when I studied for my master degree.
Which university are you in?
By the way, are you boy or girl? How old are you? Do you have partner?
Joleee
Badges: 18
Report 1 week ago
make an appointment with your personal tutor and tell them exactly what you're thinking - that you put effort in but only get mediocre grades. why? you don't like research, okay. but is there a way you can get 'good' research without searching the entire online library?

you need to be proactive and not reactive. i waited too late and lost out on support that could've changed my academic career.

depression is not easy to get over, so i understand why you say the mental health service and your gp was no help. did your doctor talk to you about meds? i don't take them personally but i know people who said it benefited them a lot.
GeolPhysics
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'm in the same boat as you, I've finished third year with mediocre grades in Geology and Physics. I'm now taking a gap year to get my mental health sorted out. I put in my full effort too.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (190)
24.05%
Pop (192)