The Student Room Group

Self Catered Accomodation

I'm moving into self catered accommodation at the University of York in and I've heard from postgrads that leaving snacks and ready meals in a shared kitchen is risky, so was wondering if it would be necessary to have a mini-fridge or something in my room for leftovers, ect? Are these allowed in your rooms? Or is it worth it?
Reply 1
Original post by zipavey
I'm moving into self catered accommodation at the University of York in and I've heard from postgrads that leaving snacks and ready meals in a shared kitchen is risky, so was wondering if it would be necessary to have a mini-fridge or something in my room for leftovers, ect? Are these allowed in your rooms? Or is it worth it?

Contact uni and ask about mini fridges. Son had no problem at York I guess depends who you are sharing with.
Original post by lemonade52

Hi there,

In my experience, leaving food in the fridges and kitchen is perfectly fine. It entirely depends on who you live with, but the vast majority of people won't take your food (other than perhaps the occasional bit of milk if they run out). If you're worried about people mistaking your food for their own, I recommend taking some markers with you to label your tupperware.
As for the mini-fridge, I would say it's not really worth it, but if you still want to get one, I would contact [email protected] or use the live chat service available on their website (https://www.york.ac.uk/study/accommodation/) to check if you're allowed. Hope this helps!

Steph :smile:
Reply 3
Thank you, this is really helpful :smile:
Original post by lemonade52
Thank you, this is really helpful :smile:

Happy to help :h:

Quick Reply

Latest