Turn on thread page Beta

GCSE Coursework - How laid back is your school? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

Recently been doing my GCSE coursework, I've noticed how much it varies from subject to subject in terms of the teacher's strictness (deadlines, how much help you get etc).

In my experience at my school it goes like this:
    Chemistry - not allowed to do anything outside of lessons, strict deadlines.
    Biology - allowed to work outside of lessons, teacher marks a first draft, tells you what you need.
    Physics - no strict deadlines, teacher tells you exactly what you need to do, makes sure you're going to get full marks.

I've just given the science courseworks, but the same applies to all my other subjects for which I've done coursework.

What is it like at your school?

ReputationRep:
    Haha, harsh.

Last year we did all our courswork out of lessons. We pretty much had as much time we wanted until the final deadline in May sometime. The most lenient was biology. Did the experiement in June year 10 and handed the final thing in May year 11 :eek:

ReputationRep:
    For Chemistry they gave us an "example" coursework - but it was EXACTLY the same as what we had to do, minus a few changes to the chemical names. So all we had to do was basically re-write it....

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the teacher and the subject...

English: We were set deadlines but nothing bad happened if we gave it in 2, 3, 4 months late. We studied the play/poems etc in great detail and had lots of notes to help us with the essay
    RS: Very strict deadlines - if you don't meet them, you get 0. Got very little help, didn't know where to begin.
    Physics: could only do in class
    Biology: experiment done in class, the rest can be done at home, no help
    Chem: same as bio except we got help
    History: very strict deadlines, no help
    etc

ReputationRep:
    hehe,
    i remember we were allowed to do courseworks independently at home as well. Now I ve got only Statistics and IT coursework left.

ReputationRep:
    Our school was quite laid back. The teachers were just grateful that we did some work.

ReputationRep:
    We were given deadlines, but most were school set so they had the work in well before the deadlines (although often you could get extensions etc.. if needed). I think it works well when you are made to hand stuff in before the deadlines, as it allows you to make changes if need be.

ReputationRep:
    Back when I did my GSCE coursework, the teachers weren't strict at all.
    For the English ones, we did get deadlines, but everyone gave theirs in late anyway, and a bit of help with it.
    Chemistry - Plenty of help in lessons, and we didn't get proper deadlines.. and worked out of lessons
    Biology - Initially lenient, but then my stupid teacher forced us to rush it because he was leaving and had to mark it before he changed schools. (We were even told that if we didnt hand it in on time we wouldnt be allowed to go on work experience) So we all rushed the coursework, and he then ran off with it and never sent it back until the Head of Science tracked him down a few months later! Grrr
    History - A ridiculous amount of help. We did loads of drafts which were marked, and told how to improve. And I handed in the first piece of coursework almost a year late. The teacher even gave my friend his notes on the essay and some A* ones from the previous years to help her. No wonder so many of us got A/A*'s.
    Physics: Not strict either. We did out of lessons, and my teacher didnt even bother making me hand in one piece of coursework. Didn't affect my overall science grade though, because of the weird marking system..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexmac9)
    In my experience at my school it goes like this:
    Chemistry - not allowed to do anything outside of lessons, strict deadlines.
    Biology - allowed to work outside of lessons, teacher marks a first draft, tells you what you need.
    Physics - no strict deadlines, teacher tells you exactly what you need to do, makes sure you're going to get full marks.
    What is it like at your school?
    Basically exactly the same as you

Chemistry is very strict, but biology is much more lenient.

The most lenient subject is IT, but it is vocational anyway so deadlines are only impose when they are really needed (eg. The 'A*' criteria say 'must adhere to deadlines')

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.