pjones3
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
For my AQA English language and literature combined course, i need a non-fiction text to pair with Jane Eyre.
I have to pair my fiction text (Jane Eyre) with a non-fiction text
My focus is on love and social class.
ANY suggestions would be helpful as i have no clue!!
Last edited by pjones3; 1 year ago
tvujgufytfch
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
When I did this I paired Jane Eyre with Villette which is also a Bronte novel. I focused on how both these female characters managed to earn their own living despite their lowly status. Lucy, like Jane, also has her share of romance; unfortunately though her love is hinted to have drowned by the end of the novel. You should definitely give Villette a read because it pairs really well with Jane Eyre.
pjones3
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by tvujgufytfch)
When I did this I paired Jane Eyre with Villette which is also a Bronte novel. I focused on how both these female characters managed to earn their own living despite their lowly status. Lucy, like Jane, also has her share of romance; unfortunately though her love is hinted to have drowned by the end of the novel. You should definitely give Villette a read because it pairs really well with Jane Eyre.
I'll give it a read, thank you!
nells45581
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Villette is great; so is The Professor, Charlotte Bronte's first novel (or third, as it was published posthumously). Most of her novels (excluding Shirley) are easy to compare, as they all have the basic plot of young person, always a teacher or governess, making their way in the world and eventually finding happiness. Anne Bronte's Agnes Grey is the same, possibly even better than Villette or Professor for comparison with Jane Eyre as it's semi-autobiographical. I would also consider Wide Sargasso Sea, which is Jane Eyre from Bertha Mason's perspective; Hardy's Tess of the D'Urbervilles; Thackeray's Vanity Fair; or Dickens's David Copperfield. I've read all of these and enjoyed them very much. Vanity Fair is probably the most readable, and it's very funny.
nells45581
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by nells45581)
Villette is great; so is The Professor, Charlotte Bronte's first novel (or third, as it was published posthumously). Most of her novels (excluding Shirley) are easy to compare, as they all have the basic plot of young person, always a teacher or governess, making their way in the world and eventually finding happiness. Anne Bronte's Agnes Grey is the same, possibly even better than Villette or Professor for comparison with Jane Eyre as it's semi-autobiographical. I would also consider Wide Sargasso Sea, which is Jane Eyre from Bertha Mason's perspective; Hardy's Tess of the D'Urbervilles; Thackeray's Vanity Fair; or Dickens's David Copperfield. I've read all of these and enjoyed them very much. Vanity Fair is probably the most readable, and it's very funny.
Omg I just noticed you need a non-fiction text. Sorry! Maybe an autobiography?
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
hmmmm.... all of the suggestions above are fiction ?

:dontknow:

you might want to read

https://www.marxists.org/archive/mar...ss-england.pdf
nells45581
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by the bear)
hmmmm.... all of the suggestions above are fiction ?

:dontknow:

you might want to read

https://www.marxists.org/archive/mar...ss-england.pdf
Yeah lol I didn't look at the question properly... Engels is so dry and academic though, surely it wouldn't be an A-Level text?
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by nells45581)
Yeah lol I didn't look at the question properly... Engels is so dry and academic though, surely it wouldn't be an A-Level text?
compared to his buddy Mr Marx, Engels is a laugh a minute :rolleyes:
tvujgufytfch
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by pjones3)
I'll give it a read, thank you!
Oh I'm sorry I didn't realise you were looking for non-fiction texts!
nells45581
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by the bear)
compared to his buddy Mr Marx, Engels is a laugh a minute :rolleyes:
never were truer words spoken...

I admit I don't know much about the standard for Eng Lang & Lit, as I just do straight Lit, but I wouldn't voluntarily inflict Engels on myself when I could pick any non-fiction text in the language.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (54)
6.07%
Uncertainty around my education (101)
11.35%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (94)
10.56%
Lack of purpose or motivation (110)
12.36%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (44)
4.94%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (48)
5.39%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (99)
11.12%
Financial worries (60)
6.74%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (40)
4.49%
Exposure to negative news/social media (56)
6.29%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (26)
2.92%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (86)
9.66%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (72)
8.09%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed