The Student Room Group

Cambridge open days - what to see

I am currently writing guides for prospective Cambridge students and would love the input of current Cambridge students!

What would you advise current students to see during a University of Cambridge visit?

What questions should they be asking, where should they go?

Also, in terms of amazing things in the city and the university itself (including the colleges), what are the must-see places and facilities?

If you have any photos, all the better!
Reply 1
Make sure to research all the colleges before and get a shortlist of maybe 5-8 to visit, there isn’t enough time for all (trust me I tried). Also if you tell the porters you’re a prospective student 90% will let you in to look around even if it’s not an open day. The Eagle Pub may be of interest to science/biology students as it’s where Watson and Crick came up with the structure for DNA.
-not a current student but went through the application/open days/events last year
Echo the above advice - make a plan to see a shortlist of colleges you have in mind, there should be students giving tours at each college; make sure that if they show you any accommodation you ask how typical it is - are they showing you the nicest most expensive third year room or the standard first year accommodation. Some colleges may have times when you can meet the director of studies in your subject - they are the person who usually would interview you and oversee your education if you get in so if you don't like them that is an important factor. if you can't meet them, try to talk to a student helper at the college who studies your subject and ask whether they feel they have been well taught by the supervisors of the college.

If you are already certain you will be applying to cambridge i would focus all your time at the open day on looking around colleges but if you are still deciding then it is worth going to a departmental talk on your subject.

must see places - kings college chapel if of course magnificent if full of tourists, a walk along the backs is lovely, the museums including the Fitzwilliam, the Zoology museum, the Sedgwick museum of earth sciences, and the Archaeology and Anthropology museum are great, and the gardens of Newnham college which are some of the most beautiful of the university in summer

Quick Reply

Latest