How much will it cost on estimate for a screen repair?

Watch this thread
shamensaki
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I bought this laptop from curry's in 2012 and now after nearly 7 years my laptop screen broke so basically from the right side the screen came out of hinges and now the screen is gone white and I cant do anything. I am going to build a computer by November 2019 but still want to ask how much would it cost Curry Pc world to repair the screen and will it be beneficial to repair a old laptop screen. On average how much would it cost if I was to repair it from the standard repair shops. Is it worth it or should i just throw away my laptop.

HP Envy M6 Basically the below link will take you to the specification

https://support.hp.com/gb-en/document/c03502472
MidgetFever
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
Honestly, if the laptop is that old it's probably going to cost more to repair it than the laptop is currently worth. It's probably worth just putting that money towards the PC you're building.

Not to mention that repair shops will more than likely overcharge you as well.
shamensaki
Rep:
(Original post by MidgetFever)
Honestly, if the laptop is that old it's probably going to cost more to repair it than the laptop is currently worth. It's probably worth just putting that money towards the PC you're building.

Yh i think this is a good idea because like right now I am searching up for this laptop and most of them are refurbished and cost £300 or £250 so yeah I probably won't get it fix
shamensaki
Rep:
Name:  Photo 09-09-2019, 1 21 07 pm.jpg
Views: 497
Size:  91.6 KBName:  Photo 09-09-2019, 1 21 15 pm.jpg
Views: 512
Size:  90.0 KBName:  Photo 09-09-2019, 1 21 19 pm.jpg
Views: 462
Size:  91.3 KBName:  Photo 09-09-2019, 1 21 22 pm.jpg
Views: 495
Size:  89.8 KB

This is how bad my laptop is broken so just have a look at it. Thanks
Fujoshi
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by waqaspk3)
I bought this laptop from curry's in 2012 and now after nearly 7 years my laptop screen broke so basically from the right side the screen came out of hinges and now the screen is gone white and I cant do anything. I am going to build a computer by November 2019 but still want to ask how much would it cost Curry Pc world to repair the screen and will it be beneficial to repair a old laptop screen. On average how much would it cost if I was to repair it from the standard repair shops. Is it worth it or should i just throw away my laptop.

If you have enough knowledge to build your own computer then why not try fixing your screen yourself? (It only needs to hold up for a couple of months anyway right?)

Edit: if you can find out where that black wire broke off you could get the screen working again by attaching it back again?
Last edited by Fujoshi; 2 years ago
shamensaki
Rep:
(Original post by MidgetFever)

Thanks for your reply still
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by waqaspk3)

It will cost you min £50-£100 for the repair.
Plus min £50 for the part.

So you are in the range of £100-£200.

Look at the second hand price on ebay to see if its worth it. It might just be a connection with no spare part. You can always get a free estimate.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...&LH_Complete=1

Contact Gosh at Byte IT if you want a free honest quote, send him the pics.
https://www.byteitltd.co.uk/contact/
Last edited by 999tigger; 2 years ago
Dunnig Kruger
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
That was a very nice laptop for 2012. And is still fine for MS Office and web browsing in 2019 (with an SSD fitted).

The hinge is a weak part on that model of laptop. There's a reasonable chance the screen is fine and what you have is a broken hinge, broken lid and broken "screen connector lead" by the looks of it.

By all means get a quote for fixing it. Or google to find the parts and instructions for fixing it yourself.

Would you want another 15.6" laptop to replace it? Or would you like something smaller (but probably without a graphics card)?
Check on ebay to see what sort of deals you could get on 2012 onwards laptops. Ones at least as good as your HP Envy.
Chances are, your laptop is BER. Beyond Economical Repair.

Copying your data off should be simple enough. All you need to do is temporarily plug in an external monitor.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (50)
46.73%
The paper was reasonable (42)
39.25%
Not feeling great about that exam... (10)
9.35%
It was TERRIBLE (5)
4.67%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed