Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
At the end of september i will be going to lancaster uni and i'm a bit worried about the transition and was wondering if someone could answer a couple of questions i have, i will say that i know the questions are silly to worry about, but the more i know about stuff the less stressful it will be so please bear with me also sorry if they're long winded anyway my questions are

1)Im sharing a self catered accommodation with 12 people and i cant get my head around the logistics of if everyone brings pots and pans for cooking therell be 12 sets in one kitchen or do people keep them in their rooms or what? and then just a side question how do you coordinate washing up and cleaning amongst 12 people

2) how do you transport laundry to and from the launderette like in a normal handheld washing basket or?
TSR_Ollie
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help

Why do I do this?

The Universities forums get a lot of questions that are unanswered. This is often because the OP's thread got missed - bumping threads gives them another lease of life and frequently results in someone seeing it and being able to respond

If you would like to help with unanswered questions check out the first part of the list here and don't forget the second part of the list here.

Or if you have questions, get in touch with Puddles the Monkey.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by TSR_Ollie)
Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help

Why do I do this?

The Universities forums get a lot of questions that are unanswered. This is often because the OP's thread got missed - bumping threads gives them another lease of life and frequently results in someone seeing it and being able to respond

If you would like to help with unanswered questions check out the first part of the list here and don't forget the second part of the list here.

Or if you have questions, get in touch with Puddles the Monkey.
Thank you
Advertisement
Lancaster Student Ambassador
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
At the end of september i will be going to lancaster uni and i'm a bit worried about the transition and was wondering if someone could answer a couple of questions i have, i will say that i know the questions are silly to worry about, but the more i know about stuff the less stressful it will be so please bear with me also sorry if they're long winded anyway my questions are

1)Im sharing a self catered accommodation with 12 people and i cant get my head around the logistics of if everyone brings pots and pans for cooking therell be 12 sets in one kitchen or do people keep them in their rooms or what? and then just a side question how do you coordinate washing up and cleaning amongst 12 people

2) how do you transport laundry to and from the launderette like in a normal handheld washing basket or?
Hi anon!
I'm currently a student at Lancaster and lived in halls in first year so hopefully I can help.
In the kitchens we had two cupboards each which is a squeeze but I managed to fit all cupboard food in one cupboard and all my cutlery and crockery in another. You honestly don't need to bring too much stuff! You can buy any essentials when you're here as well. We also kept some stuff on the counters as well by our cupboards. People would mostly keep excess food in their rooms e.g. if people went and bought crates of stuff from Costco, or snacks and drinks.
The washing up honestly works out fine. You'll learn that people really don't eat at the same time and then some people wash up straight away and some people don't. Just make sure people aren't leaving dirty things in the sink and it shouldn't be a problem. It's surprising, but genuinely shouldn't be an issue!
For transporting laundry there's a few things I saw people doing. I would separate my clothes into different colours and put them into different bags for life and take them down. Some people would take their laundry basket down and separate at the laundrette. Some people would take their things in suitcases!
Let me know if you have any more questions,
Charlotte
2nd year Biological Sciences with Biomedicine
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
(Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador)
Hi anon!
I'm currently a student at Lancaster and lived in halls in first year so hopefully I can help.
In the kitchens we had two cupboards each which is a squeeze but I managed to fit all cupboard food in one cupboard and all my cutlery and crockery in another. You honestly don't need to bring too much stuff! You can buy any essentials when you're here as well. We also kept some stuff on the counters as well by our cupboards. People would mostly keep excess food in their rooms e.g. if people went and bought crates of stuff from Costco, or snacks and drinks.
The washing up honestly works out fine. You'll learn that people really don't eat at the same time and then some people wash up straight away and some people don't. Just make sure people aren't leaving dirty things in the sink and it shouldn't be a problem. It's surprising, but genuinely shouldn't be an issue!
For transporting laundry there's a few things I saw people doing. I would separate my clothes into different colours and put them into different bags for life and take them down. Some people would take their laundry basket down and separate at the laundrette. Some people would take their things in suitcases!
Let me know if you have any more questions,
Charlotte
2nd year Biological Sciences with Biomedicine
Thank you this helped a lot
Advertisement
Manitude
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 hours ago
(Original post by Anonymous)

1) Bring your own pots and pans. Keep them in your room if you feel like you want to, or if you don't have the storage. In my flat at least, there was very little coordination of washing up and cleaning (i.e. nothing got done until someone got sick of the mess and it did it all themselves).
2) Initially I had a laundry basket, but it was cheap and broke. For the following three years I used a bin bag.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (11)
5.76%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (106)
55.5%
No (74)
38.74%

Watched Threads