backspace400
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hey all.

On results day, I went through clearing and got a place confirmed at sheffield. I have since got a remark and got the grades for my first choice which originally rejected me. If I wanted to reapply, how do I exit my contract with sheffield and get them to release me?
VegetableMarvell
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi!
Have you been re-offered a place at your first choice? Or are you planning on taking a year out?
Last edited by VegetableMarvell; 1 month ago
mpcwa
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by backspace400)
Hey all.

On results day, I went through clearing and got a place confirmed at sheffield. I have since got a remark and got the grades for my first choice which originally rejected me. If I wanted to reapply, how do I exit my contract with sheffield and get them to release me?
You need to see whether your first choice are still gonna accept you for this year. If they will then you need to call up Sheffield and ask them to release you and then (using instructions given by your original firm) you need to add an offer through clearing.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey all.

Did you notify your firm and clearing university that you were getting a remark?

You need to speak to them both to see if they will still allow a late change. It's 9 days after the deadline for meeting your offer conditions.

You do NOT need to arrange a release/place through Clearing as advised above. A swap due to a remark can be handled by UCAS but both universities need to agree.
backspace400
Rep:
?
(Original post by VegetableMarvell)
Hi!
Have you been re-offered a place at your first choice? Or are you planning on taking a year out?
Im on a year out now
backspace400
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
Did you notify your firm and clearing university that you were getting a remark?

You need to speak to them both to see if they will still allow a late change. It's 9 days after the deadline for meeting your offer conditions.

You do NOT need to arrange a release/place through Clearing as advised above. A swap due to a remark can be handled by UCAS but both universities need to agree.
Is this the same for a gap year? I was planning on reapplying through UCAS for 2020 start
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Is this the same for a gap year? I was planning on reapplying through UCAS for 2020 start
Do you want to reapply for 5 choices or just have a deferred place for 2020 with your previous firm?
VegetableMarvell
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Im on a year out now
In that case then, pretty easy. (Assuming you're just gonna go through the application process on UCAS again.)

UCAS have a new feature for 2019 called 'self-release'. It's super easy and you don't have to ring Sheffield.
https://www.ucas.com/advisers/guides...lease-clearing

Had you applied for accommodation at Sheffield yet? (I changed from Sheffield after my first choice Uni re-offered, so I know the process a little.)
Last edited by VegetableMarvell; 1 month ago
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
In that case then, pretty easy. (Assuming you're just gonna go through the application process on UCAS again.)

UCAS have a new feature for 2019 called 'self-release'. It's super easy and you don't have to ring Sheffield.

Had you applied for accommodation at Sheffield yet? (I changed from Sheffield after my first choice Uni re-offered, so I know the process a little.)
There is no need for the OP to use self release
VegetableMarvell
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by PQ)
There is no need for the OP to use self release
I thought they just wanted to release themselves from Sheffield's offer?
There is an option on self-release to declare 'I'm not going to Uni this year', so they can just re-apply for 2020? Or have I got it confused?
backspace400
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
Do you want to reapply for 5 choices or just have a deferred place for 2020 with your previous firm?
deferred foor my previous firm
backspace400
Rep:
?

Oh perfect! I hadnt applied for accomodation no
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
deferred foor my previous firm
You need to speak to your previous firm choice then. Did you notify them on results day that you were getting a remark?
backspace400
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
You need to speak to your previous firm choice then. Did you notify them on results day that you were getting a remark?
No. If I speak to my previous firm what would I haveto say about reapplying?
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No. If I speak to my previous firm what would I haveto say about reapplying?
Don't say anything about reapplying. Please IGNORE the incorrect advice from the other posters about releasing yourself and using clearing.

Ring them up, explain that your results have been remarked and you now meet your offer, ask if they'll take you back for 2020 entry. If they agree then ask what you need to do to make it happen (should be nothing - they need to ring UCAS and UCAS will swap you back to them and they'll update your entry date to 2020.
backspace400
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
Don't say anything about reapplying. Please IGNORE the incorrect advice from the other posters about releasing yourself and using clearing.

Ring them up, explain that your results have been remarked and you now meet your offer, ask if they'll take you back for 2020 entry. If they agree then ask what you need to do to make it happen (should be nothing - they need to ring UCAS and UCAS will swap you back to them and they'll update your entry date to 2020.
Okay thank you so much.
backspace400
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)

Ive heard some unis are a bit difficult about releasing you but is that more with clearing? and would I not need to contact sheffield at all?
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Ive heard some unis are a bit difficult about releasing you but is that more with clearing? and would I not need to contact sheffield at all?
Talk to your firm choice. Just pick up the phone now.

You don't need to speak to sheffield and you don't need to be released - a release is to use clearing and that isn't what you are doing.
backspace400
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by PQ)
Talk to your firm choice. Just pick up the phone now.

You don't need to speak to sheffield and you don't need to be released - a release is to use clearing and that isn't what you are doing.
Heya, would I call the actual uni number or the clearing hotline? I know its not clearing but as its for admissions
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    The Bar Series: Applications and Interviews - London Bloomsbury campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 17 Oct '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (10)
6.49%
They might tell the bully (16)
10.39%
I don't think they'd understand (28)
18.18%
It might lead to more bullying (57)
37.01%
There's nothing they could do (43)
27.92%

Watched Threads

Latest