Cstubbings
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I’m in year 12 , just starting out my economics alevel course , I was really hoping for top grades in this class so any techniques or websites you started using early on to get top grades? Highly appreciated
Last edited by Cstubbings; 1 week ago
Brandonian
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Pm me and I can help you out
Cstubbings
Rep:
?
(Original post by Brandonian)
Thanks , will do
Hiro2468
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I need help too. It's a gamble for me to take it but I really want to do well.
Cstubbings
Rep:
?
(Original post by Hiro2468)
I need help too. It's a gamble for me to take it but I really want to do well.
I had my first lesson and found some elements confusing , I’d really need the help to do well
Hiro2468
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Cstubbings)
I had my first lesson and found some elements confusing , I’d really need the help to do well
We haven't started learning the course yet but I tried to read the first few pages of the textbook and my mind went completely blank. I'm worried now.

I don't even know how to effectively revise for it.
Muttley79
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Post them here; that's what this website is about
Cstubbings
Rep:
?
(Original post by Hiro2468)
We haven't started learning the course yet but I tried to read the first few pages of the textbook and my mind went completely blank. I'm worried now.

I don't even know how to effectively revise for it.
No idea how to effectively revise , hoping to learn some tips now , good luck
Cstubbings
Rep:
?
(Original post by Muttley79)
Post them here; that's what this website is about
Hopefully
Kaiix
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Same lol hard asf
moneymanJPM
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
look up econplusdal on youtube- a really good resource. Also make sure you have all the content done by the christmas holiday of year 13, so you can really work on the exam technique. Do all new spec and old spec papers at least three times and use the examiner reports to assist you when marking, because the mark schemes are quite subjective. Also evaluation is a vital part of economics that some students find difficult and teachears often brush over, so make sure you learn how to evaluate very early on so you can do well in your mocks and get a good predicted grade.
Wilko64
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Practice essays (the longer answer ones especially) to ensure you have a structure that you're comfortable with and then apply this structure to past paper questions, answer the questions and then get teachers to mark them. Often there is very little difference in terms of the knowledge of an A* student and a B student in economics (and other essay subjects for that matter) but the difference is how that knowledge is applied and then evaluated (evaluation is the main thing that will boost your grade), this only improves through consistent practice.

An advantage of doing practice essays is whatever questions come up in your exam it's likely you'll have answered a similar question before and so will already have the base of your answer. It also makes it easier to develop chains of analysis because you aren't having to think of new ideas, instead you're just remembering older ones.

Ensure you can get full marks on the shorter answer questions (2 and 4 markers if you're doing AQA), don't get caught out and loose 2 easy marks because you don't know how to calculate percentage change or you missed out the units.

In terms of content/knowledge I found the CGP textbook very helpful whereas both Econplusdal (youtube) and EconomicsHelp.org are both very good for combining knowledge with application and evaluation.
Cstubbings
Rep:
?
(Original post by moneymanJPM)
look up econplusdal on youtube- a really good resource. Also make sure you have all the content done by the christmas holiday of year 13, so you can really work on the exam technique. Do all new spec and old spec papers at least three times and use the examiner reports to assist you when marking, because the mark schemes are quite subjective. Also evaluation is a vital part of economics that some students find difficult and teachears often brush over, so make sure you learn how to evaluate very early on so you can do well in your mocks and get a good predicted grade.
Thank you so much !!
Cstubbings
Rep:
?
(Original post by Wilko64)
Practice essays (the longer answer ones especially) to ensure you have a structure that you're comfortable with and then apply this structure to past paper questions, answer the questions and then get teachers to mark them. Often there is very little difference in terms of the knowledge of an A* student and a B student in economics (and other essay subjects for that matter) but the difference is how that knowledge is applied and then evaluated (evaluation is the main thing that will boost your grade), this only improves through consistent practice.

An advantage of doing practice essays is whatever questions come up in your exam it's likely you'll have answered a similar question before and so will already have the base of your answer. It also makes it easier to develop chains of analysis because you aren't having to think of new ideas, instead you're just remembering older ones.

Ensure you can get full marks on the shorter answer questions (2 and 4 markers if you're doing AQA), don't get caught out and loose 2 easy marks because you don't know how to calculate percentage change or you missed out the units.

In terms of content/knowledge I found the CGP textbook very helpful whereas both Econplusdal (youtube) and EconomicsHelp.org are both very good for combining knowledge with application and evaluation.
I’ve been looking to start practice papers however don’t have sufficient knowledge of the subject yet and am debating wether to read ahead or not
moneymanJPM
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I’ve been looking to start practice papers however don’t have sufficient knowledge of the subject yet and am debating wether to read ahead or not
you're going to have to at one point, but if your in year 12 now is slightly early imo.
hwpo1
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
pm me if you need help with Economics.
Cstubbings
Rep:
?
(Original post by moneymanJPM)
you're going to have to at one point, but if your in year 12 now is slightly early imo.
Alright thanks
Zoqua
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Can I do this as well?

I’m in year 12 , just starting out my economics alevel course , I was really hoping for top grades in this class so any techniques or websites you started using early on to get top grades? Highly appreciated
I'm in the same situation (I've had a look through the course ahead though and have been reading a lot of Economics books & articles since Year 10, I probably want to do Economics at university), and I really want A*'s in all of my A levels (especially Economics, Maths & Further Maths) this is a really useful thread thanks for asking this. Good luck
safa2
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I got a B in A-Level Economics (AQA) I really wanted an A or A* but I messed up my multiple choice and two of my 25 markers, hence I know I messed my grade up.
In terms of Revision, I found that Econplusdal was the best resource, I used his videos for advice for both exam technique and understanding knowledge as well as stats, which helped boost my marks in evaluation.
Another resource was Economics Help, which is a website that I found really helpful as it simplified content.
I had a really good Economics Teacher who put literally everything of slides which then I used for my revision notes, but my condensed notes came from a mixture of everything, including both my brother and sisters old economics notes- as content never really changes to much and they both got A* grades.
Make sure you Learn definitions well, as they provide so many marks- at least with exam boards like mine.
Also found PMT Economics really usefull, for economics revision notes- again really simplified, but I think knowledge is key, more than anything in getting any grade above a C.
In terms of technique, it obvs differs for every exam board, but I think a key thing is Explaining and providing evaluation with relevant diagrams. No diagram means very few marks, so start writing the diagrams and remember them now especially the axis, as you don't want to mess up on basic marks.
Finally if you have any paper that has a section where there is no context, trust me this is the best I used to hate not having context but when you know real life examples etc it really excels your marks. Also the Context for context based answers- Use it- as it supports your argument and helps you get the best marks.

Hope that helps!
Soul Wavel3ngth
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'm also in year 12 and although I haven't began my course yet, I've been watching Crash course economics on youtube in order to prepare. I highly recommend you watch the series.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (19)
5.94%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (185)
57.81%
No (116)
36.25%

Watched Threads