The Student Room Group

Cambridge Psychology A Levels

I’m wanting to study psychological and behavioural sciences at Cambridge. I’ve just started year 12 and have chosen psychology, biology and maths. However, I am already struggling with maths (and we are reviewing some skills we should have learnt previously at GCSE) and I can almost be guarantee that I won’t get an A. I achieved a 7 at GCSE. My other option is Spanish which I’ve been told I could achieve an A* in from my efforts at GCSE level. I know that a large proportion of students studying this course take maths - would not taking it lessen my chances of being accepted? Would doing core maths being any use?
take Spanish. PBS is a course where it's possible to go more down the scientific route or the humanities route from as early as first year with option papers- it's therefore possible to get in without even any science/maths subjects so having biology is already a bonus - languages are well respected A levels and the study of language is relevant to psychology and it is much much better to get an A*/A in Spanish than a B in maths and miss your offer even if you got one

the only thing to note is don't apply to trinity college as they require a level maths but this is the only college that does so

taking core maths may help with your maths skills if you are asked a data/graph based question at interview or if you want to answer the biology and maths section of the admissions assessment but don't give yourself extra workload if you don't think it'll benefit you
(edited 4 years ago)
if you're still concerned it may be worth emailing a few admissions tutors of colleges you're interested to get their official view of the relative benefits of taking either. email addresses can be found on college websites, eg the email for the Newnham admissions tutor is [email protected]
also, from the info about PBS on newnham college website:

"There are no prerequisite A-level subjects to study PBS, while useful subjects include Mathematics and Biology; PBS students at Cambridge are quite diverse with one-third having both, a third one and a third neither."

Quick Reply

Latest