The Student Room Group
University of York
York

york economics

What is york like for economics? Will it hinder my employment prospects compared to say Leeds, Bristol, Nottingham?
York is a Russell Group uni at around the same level of reputation as the other universities that you mentioned, even if it is not ranked as highly on subject league tables. Check it out here:
https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=economics

I would advise that you look around a bunch of different universities and see what suits you! :biggrin:
University of York
York
Original post by Anonymous
What is york like for economics? Will it hinder my employment prospects compared to say Leeds, Bristol, Nottingham?

Hi there,

We have one of the largest economics departments in the UK, which means we can offer a broad range of research expertise and research-led teaching. Alumni include the former President of Portugal Professor Anibal Cavaco Silva and former Prime Minister of South Korea Han Seung-Soo, and recent graduates have gone on to work for Jaguar Land Rover, Goldman Sachs, and The World Food Programme, to name a few, so don't worry about your employment prospects being hindered. Here is the link to the Department of Economics: http://bit.ly/30anExA.

You'll also receive support throughout your degree and after you graduate from our Careers and Placements service. They can help with your C.V., job applications, and even mock interviews. We also have our Student Internship Bureau, which offers placements exclusive to University of York students. This means that there are plenty of opportunities available to you where you can gain valuable experience. You can find more information here: http://bit.ly/30brTck.

We hope you consider us and if you have any questions, feel free to ask. Good luck!

Steph
Reply 3
Original post by barror1
York is a Russell Group uni at around the same level of reputation as the other universities that you mentioned, even if it is not ranked as highly on subject league tables. Check it out here:

I would advise that you look around a bunch of different universities and see what suits you! :biggrin:

I have looked around York before (but for a different course) and I didn't mind it, it was ok :smile: But never looked round for economics but want to go this year in clearing
I have looked around York before (but for a different course) and I didn't mind it, it was ok :smile: But never looked round for economics but want to go this year in clearing

You will need to apply extremely soon to get anywhere via clearing. York moves in on the 28th, with other universities being sooner. You will need to decide soon! :biggrin:
Reply 5
Original post by barror1
You will need to apply extremely soon to get anywhere via clearing. York moves in on the 28th, with other universities being sooner. You will need to decide soon! :biggrin:

yep I know haha. I am extremely indecisive. I have an offer from them in clearing already and so I'm having a think about it. 28th September is ages off tbf (compared to my current firm for chemistry who i'm meant to be moving to in 5 days hehe)
Reply 6
Original post by barror1

Do you actually think it doesn't matter that York is lower down on the league tables? Very top unis (LSE, Warwick etc.) are ruled out because obviously not in clearing and also i haven't done economics before so will probably be useful going to one with slightly lower entry requirements. But don't want to jeopardise my career so would probably rather just have a gap year than do that
Do you actually think it doesn't matter that York is lower down on the league tables? Very top unis (LSE, Warwick etc.) are ruled out because obviously not in clearing and also i haven't done economics before so will probably be useful going to one with slightly lower entry requirements. But don't want to jeopardise my career so would probably rather just have a gap year than do that

Honestly, I don't think you have much to lose by going to York! I am a fresher there as well and it honestly looks so promising for employment :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by barror1
Honestly, I don't think you have much to lose by going to York! I am a fresher there as well and it honestly looks so promising for employment :smile:

nice! what course are you on?
Reply 9
yep I know haha. I am extremely indecisive. I have an offer from them in clearing already and so I'm having a think about it. 28th September is ages off tbf (compared to my current firm for chemistry who i'm meant to be moving to in 5 days hehe)

hi!

I saw that you applied through cleaning and I have a room with uni accommodation that I don’t want. I’d need to find a replacement tenant for my room. I have a Premium Ensuite with Weekly College Meal room in Constantine College. If you don’t want this room or if it’s too expensive I know someone who has a en-suite standard room at Goodricke that’s a little cheaper. Let me know if you’re still interested.

I think York and Leeds are pretty similar par universities, both very good & well respected.

Bristol & Notts are imo a little ahead of York but, i would say a quality students will be good whatever Uni they attend.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending