Commons Speaker John Bercow to stand down Watch

DSilva
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Connor27)
Good riddance to the worst Speaker since the Second World War (and yes, that includes the expenses corrupt ‘Gorbals Mick.’)

His decision to allow backbenchers to take control of the order paper and his political weaponisation of standing order 24 have taken a massive irreparable **** on the British constitution.

Hope he doesn’t get a peerage.
Yes how dare a speaker allow our elected legislature a say...

And if you're concerned about the British constitution, direct your anger at those in the Tory party who suggest ignoring the rule of law.
DSilva
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Le Male)
Bercow overstepped his role and allowed backbench nobodies to control the house to the detriment of the government and ultimately this nation.

Never have I seen a more flagrant abuse of position in all my years.

Good riddance
It's the speakers role to speak up for the back benchers...

Parliament is sovereign. If they vote to take control of the order paper, that's what should happen.
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Good riddance to the worst Speaker since the Second World War (and yes, that includes the expenses corrupt ‘Gorbals Mick.’)

His decision to allow backbenchers to take control of the order paper and his political weaponisation of standing order 24 have taken a massive irreparable **** on the British constitution.

In the chamber he was good and supported backbenchers, but outside the allegations of bullying were never properly investigated.

Whoever succeeds him must never be a government stooge. Pete Wishart gets my support for that reason. A good musician incidentally.
Le Male
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by DSilva)
It's the speakers role to speak up for the back benchers...

Parliament is sovereign. If they vote to take control of the order paper, that's what should happen.
By your own admission there is no democracy but a dictatorship of the bourgoisie.

Democracy is a proxy for civil war, never forget that.
ByEeek
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Alt Tankie)
I actually think Nigel Farage would be a good speaker of the house 😂
Really? Since when was Farage an unbiased person everyone on all sides of a debate looks up to?

Bercow became a parody of himself and has always been unable to control his temper or contempt for those he doesn't rate. A poor speaker on those grounds alone. That said, he should be a chamion of our parliamentary democracy. If is for the executive to win the debate, not shut the debate down and railroad their point home. That is the work of dictatorships and our government feels more and more like one.
Alt Tankie
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ByEeek)
Really? Since when was Farage an unbiased person everyone on all sides of a debate looks up to?

If is for the executive to win the debate, not shut the debate down and railroad their point home. That is the work of dictatorships and our government feels more and more like one.
Nobody’s unbiased, least of all those pertaining to be.

Lol it’s always been that way. Liberals are just mad now that they are losing the argument.
Burton Bridge
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
We need a speaker who will act as a speaker. JB unfortunately tarnished himself, the fact so many are for and against him proves in itself what a poor speaker he has become.
Connor27
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

Lol it’s always been that way. Liberals are just mad now that they are losing the argument.
The absolute implosion of Liberals is brilliant to see. They’ve held power for nearly 3 decades since Mrs T was forced out and it’s all catching up to them now; they’re terrified.
Rock Fan
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
The absolute implosion of Liberals is brilliant to see. They’ve held power for nearly 3 decades since Mrs T was forced out and it’s all catching up to them now; they’re terrified.
Long may it continue
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

Heaven forbid he let the British parliament "take back control" :rolleyes:
Alt Tankie
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Nate to break it to you but Thatcher was a liberal
Too- she’s the one who got us into this mess in the first place!
Glaz
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Andrew97)
More than the TSR speaker? 😉
Yes mate. His jokes are great and your mass PM jokes are ****ing awful :yy:

Spoiler:
Show
Actually, some of them are good but some are cringy dad jokes :sadnod:
Burton Bridge
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Thatcher was a complete disaster
Alt Tankie
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Burton Bridge)
Thatcher was a complete disaster
Yep. She failed to conserve anything.
Connor27
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
She was still the last PM to oppose globalism and halt the expansion of EU power (even if she didn’t reverse it.)

Also on social issues she maintained a firm fabric and opposed liberal degeneracy.

I can understand why you oppose her free market economics as someone on the Left but let’s be fair; she was no Liberal.
Alt Tankie
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
She was still the last PM to oppose globalism and halt the expansion of EU power (even if she didn’t reverse it.)

Also on social issues she maintained a firm fabric and opposed liberal degeneracy.

I can understand why you oppose her free market economics as someone on the Left but let’s be fair; she was no Liberal.
What exactly did she do to stop globalism and degeneracy? Like all conservatives (including Trump)- nothing, other than maybe some platitudes.
Fullofsurprises
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
We have one of the worst Tory parliamentary groups in living memory, they are populated with spivs, con artists, professional liars, crooks, far right wingers and lazy-ass good for nothings. Very few have shown backbone and decided to place the good of the country above their self-serving money-grubbing or egoistic agendas.

Against that background, really, anything the Speaker could have done to throw some spokes under their wheels should be met only with praise and support.
ByEeek
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

We'll see. Maybe we don't have our heads burried in the sands of ignorance.

Still, I'll be ok. I have skills in demand all over the world.
Alt Tankie
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ByEeek)
We'll see. Maybe we don't have our heads burried in the sands of ignorance.

Still, I'll be ok. I have skills in demand all over the world.
That’s what all fanatics say. Not that I’m judging too much, I’m a fanatic too -I’m just more honest about it.😉

Surely Brexit doesn’t mean you have to resort to prostitution? 😂
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (201)
23.96%
Pop (208)
24.79%
Jazz (33)
3.93%
Classical (46)
5.48%
Hip-Hop (162)
19.31%