The Student Room Group

English literature

I have just started Year 11 and I will be sitting my English Literature GCSE. I have sat GCSEs previously and so I have some knowledge.. I guess?

I am studying Macbeth, Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde, Blood Brothers and the Relationships Anthology and I was wondering if anyone has any tips/advice or literally ANYTHING to help me as I am homeschooled and teaching myself all the material..........
make character quote sheets maybe? and it helps to put characters and situations in books/poems into themes [i.e. love, change, time] so that you can clearly see which parts fit or are more relevant [and therefore the ones you need to learn].
Original post by hollystephens
make character quote sheets maybe? and it helps to put characters and situations in books/poems into themes [i.e. love, change, time] so that you can clearly see which parts fit or are more relevant [and therefore the ones you need to learn].

Thank you for this advice. The only problem I am having is that I am a little lost with where to start and what seems relevant to answering the questions. As I am teaching myself everything I have 5 months to learn all the material and I am so stressed about it.

If you have any advice on how to plan/write an essay please do share and please share any advice you have on trying to understand Shakespeare!!!!
Reply 3
This is my quote sheet that I used throughout my GCSE Eng Lit for Macbeth and Jekyll & Hyde. I used it to revise and took it to every English class so that I got used to the sheet a d quotes and learned them over time. Hope this helps.

I also thoroughly recommend Mr Bruff on youtube, especially for poetry.
Reply 4
Original post by hollystephens
themes [i.e. love, change, time]

Pretty sure you mean exempli gratia or 'e.g.' here, unless love, change and time are the only themes for that literary work and those three themes weren't examples. Id est (basically 'i.e.') is basically meant to say 'that is', which can be understood as 'in other words', so it should not be used to give examples.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply