hugetheta
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi TSR,

I need some quick advice on a question. I've narrowed done my college choice to one of two as per the title: Jesus or Trinity. I was wondering which do you guys think is the superior choice? I like the aesthetic, size of Jesus but by contrast Trinity has the prestige and reputation.

Looking for some advice,
Thanks
gay*
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
if your only reasoning for Trinity is prestige/reputation i would recommend Jesus
stcamb
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Both are great choices and it won't really make much difference once you've left.

Trinity seems to be much more competitive and obviously has a bit of a reputation. Jesus as a community (for maths at least) seems less preocupied with exam results, which can be helpful if you're less confident. ("Less preocupied" compared to Trinity I mean, not the world at large.)

By "size" do you mean the college as a whole, or just maths? Jesus has a nice fairly close knit maths community with about 8 students per year, which I'd personally much prefer over Trinity.

Of course, you may well end up pooled (possibly more likely if you apply to Trinity? I haven't checked) so applying to Trinity does not necessarily mean going to Trinity. In that sense you might be better off applying to a college with less applicants and which you know you like (i.e. Jesus).

Honestly I'm not sure which to recommend. I think you've made a very good choice of your top two.
Ffddhbcfil
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I think it could be easy to get feelings of inadequacy at Trinity.
You're surrounded by really some of the best mathematicians in your year from around the world.
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by gay*)
if your only reasoning for Trinity is prestige/reputation i would recommend Jesus
prestige is a perfectly legitimate factor to consider. imagine walking in the footsteps of Isaac Newton, Niels Bohr and James Clerk Maxwell?
Ffddhbcfil
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by A Rolling Stone)
prestige is a perfectly legitimate factor to consider. imagine walking in the footsteps of Isaac Newton, Niels Bohr and James Clerk Maxwell?
They probably weren't too concerned about the prestige. It's quite shallow to be honest.
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Ffddhbcfil)
They probably weren't too concerned about the prestige. It's quite shallow to be honest.
is shallow the right word though? i would say more attracted to the romanticism of the history and heritage of the place tbh
Ffddhbcfil
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by A Rolling Stone)
is shallow the right word though? i would say more attracted to the romanticism of the history and heritage of the place tbh
Shallow in the sense of lacking depth, not superficial.
radarmaker
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Pick where you think you'll feel most comfortable - it's where you'll be living and working for several years - day to day that's probably more important than prestige. Plus, frankly, anyone who thinks less of you for being at Jesus rather than Trinity (or for that matter, any college rather than any other college) can shove off; the maths tripos is the maths tripos whichever college you're at.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 2 Jul '20
  • University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 3 Jul '20

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (64)
23.53%
No (208)
76.47%

Watched Threads