The Student Room Group

Can the bank I’m already with reject me when I apply for a student account?

I applied for a student account at a different bank for extra perks but got rejected. Will the bank that I have a normal bank account with reject me as well? Or are they more likely to give it to me since I already have an account with them?

Getting rejected by my own bank would hurt lol
Lool, I have been rejected from my own bank.

Natwest
Original post by Bandanadude
I applied for a student account at a different bank for extra perks but got rejected. Will the bank that I have a normal bank account with reject me as well? Or are they more likely to give it to me since I already have an account with them?

You can get rejected for a student account at your current bank yes, although you can obvs continue to use your existing bank account - you just won't get the perks :frown:
Original post by MajorFader
Lool, I have been rejected from my own bank.

Natwest

Really?! Did they say why?

Usually if you have a account with them already, it should be easy to open a student account with your bank. If there are issues opening one or you are missing information, your bank should give you advise on how to correct this.

Did the other bank say why they rejected you?
Original post by cheesecakelove
Usually if you have a account with them already, it should be easy to open a student account with your bank. If there are issues opening one or you are missing information, your bank should give you advise on how to correct this.

Did the other bank say why they rejected you?

I’m 80% sure it’s because I don’t have any credit history. My application was fine and they said they checked my credit score.
I’m 80% sure it’s because I don’t have any credit history. My application was fine and they said they checked my credit score.

My son got rejected for a student account for the same reason, the computer said No
Yes.

You must remember that the risk of a standard account is fairly limited -- 50 or 60 quid overdrawn maybe. With a student account, they're saying they will give you 500 quid or so and will consider an app up to 3000 (if you take into the account the wind ups when it becomes a grad account).
(edited 4 years ago)
Santander rejected me online at first but I opened a standard account then went in branch and they transferred it no problems at all. I didn't have the issue when I first upgraded my existing account with HSBC that was quick & simple.
Original post by Fresher18
Santander rejected me online at first but I opened a standard account then went in branch and they transferred it no problems at all. I didn't have the issue when I first upgraded my existing account with HSBC that was quick & simple.

They have your data already; and have already run a credit check when you opened the current account.
They can and do reject young customers wanting to open a student account who have an existing account......if they haven't used it.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending