Poll: Should I retake or go to University?
University (71)
50.35%
Retake (70)
49.65%
cheerIeader
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi.

I failed my A-Levels with grades A (RE) B (Sociology) and a D (English Lit).

I have been accepted into a decent University with a placement year which I think I would love in terms of sociability/academics but I'm pretty sure I won't have any career prospects given the D grade in English.

Really didn't want to have to retake, the idea of retaking makes me so scared and upset but at the same time I'm not sure if it'll hold me back in the future, do I go to University or retake or can I retake my A-Level during my first year at Uni?
Last edited by cheerIeader; 1 week ago
cheerIeader
Rep:
?
Someone HELP me pls. I failed almost everything. :confused:
retajalshafeii
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by cheerIeader)
try applying to Birkbeck Law foundation. They usually accept lower grades but it all depends on the interview and extra cirriculars you did at school. they usually prefer brighter students with things like student council and yearbook work- all that jazz. UCL accepts Birkbeck foundation of law, as well as Leeds foundation. queen mary foundation, SOAS foundation.

Its a year but if you have your mind set on UCL or any london undergraduate program, best you do it or just resit A levels.
cheerIeader
Rep:
?
(Original post by retajalshafeii)
try applying to Birkbeck Law foundation. They usually accept lower grades but it all depends on the interview and extra cirriculars you did at school. they usually prefer brighter students with things like student council and yearbook work- all that jazz. UCL accepts Birkbeck foundation of law, as well as Leeds foundation. queen mary foundation, SOAS foundation.

Its a year but if you have your mind set on UCL or any london undergraduate program, best you do it or just resit A levels.
I'm actually happy about the University (as it offers a placement year in a law firm), my problem is I feel I won't have employment opportunities after because of my bad grade and it's making me so scared. I don't know what to do.
I'mPooPoo
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'm actually happy about the University (as it offers a placement year in a law firm), my problem is I feel I won't have employment opportunities after because of my bad grade and it's making me so scared. I don't know what to do.
As long as you work hard and get your degree, the grade D in English lit won't hold you back at all. I've had friends in similar positions. While at university try to get experience related to your degree and or future job.
Last edited by I'mPooPoo; 1 week ago
Stefanidi
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi.

I failed my A-Levels with grades A (RE) B (Sociology) and a D (English Lit).

I was predicted A*AA and was going to UCL to do Law, however was rejected on results day. My English paper is currently being remarked but I'm 6-7 marks from a C grade and unsure whether it'll go up. I have been accepted into a decent University with a placement year which I think I would love in terms of sociability/academics but I'm pretty sure I won't have any career prospects given the D grade in English.

Really didn't want to have to retake, the idea of retaking makes me so scared and upset but at the same time I'm not sure if it'll hold me back in the future, do I go to University or retake?
Definitely retake all three. UCL want you to have achieved your grades in one sitting so you may still have a chance. Your a levels may hold you back when looking at graduate schemes as they sometimes have requirements of ABB minimum or higher
retajalshafeii
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
i know many people that have done law degrees and gone to pursue a career that had nothing to do with law. time will tell hun don't worry about it too much. if its genuinely bothering you, during your second or end of first year of UNI, resit them. You can do IGCSE'S and A Levels anytime, anywhere, whenever the heck you want to. You can even choose to improve your A level grades during your third year of UNI. Take advantage of your freedom but remember, your uni work has to come first.

if you do really well in law school and get firsts throughout, i suggest you don't worry too much about it.

If resiting isnt an option for you, try doing side jobs that will get you some experience. Maybe something in business or an assistant.
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Stefanidi)
Definitely retake all three. UCL want you to have achieved your grades in one sitting so you may still have a chance. Your a levels may hold you back when looking at graduate schemes as they sometimes have requirements of ABB minimum or higher
Retake all 3? They got an A and a B. They don't need to retake those. And, UCL definitely won't take any retakes.
retajalshafeii
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Quick-use)
Retake all 3? They got an A and a B. They don't need to retake those. And, UCL definitely won't take any retakes.
I was going to say the same. UCL does NOT accept retakes. If there was a student who got the exact same grades as you but UCL knew you retook them, they'd drop you in a second.
username4914760
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
for law you need ABB minimum for graduate schemes so i would atleast get a B in the D subject but at the same time UCL won't accept retakes.
cheerIeader
Rep:
?
i know many people that have done law degrees and gone to pursue a career that had nothing to do with law. time will tell hun don't worry about it too much. if its genuinely bothering you, during your second or end of first year of UNI, resit them. You can do IGCSE'S and A Levels anytime, anywhere, whenever the heck you want to. You can even choose to improve your A level grades during your third year of UNI. Take advantage of your freedom but remember, your uni work has to come first.

if you do really well in law school and get firsts throughout, i suggest you don't worry too much about it.

If resiting isnt an option for you, try doing side jobs that will get you some experience. Maybe something in business or an assistant.
So do you think i should retake English while in my first year at University? 20% of the coursework is already finished but I may alter it slightly to improve it but I'm not sure whether to take this route or not.

(Original post by Quick-use)
Does UCL not accept retakes at all? Would you advise me to go to the University and retake my English A-Level during the first year or to take the year out? I'm not sure if the workload would be manageable.
username4412650
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Sooooo, you didn’t fail any of your a Levels?
retajalshafeii
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Does UCL not accept retakes at all? Would you advise me to go to the University and retake my English A-Level during the first year or to take the year out? I'm not sure if the workload would be manageable.
UCL does not accept retakes whatsoever. They’re pretty strict about that and even if you were to retake your subjects, you’d need to take all three AGAIN in one year because they will only count the ones you did in that year. They’re pretty strict about it.

UCL’s out of the box for you unless you do a foundation year course listed on their website for LAW.
Muttley79
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
YOU did not fail any of your A levels - just go to uni ...

A fail is a grade U so please stop.
username4914760
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Muttley79)
YOU did not fail any of your A levels - just go to uni ...

A fail is a grade U so please stop.
i think OP means in terms of law and its not easy to say "just go to uni" cos law firms care a lot about a level grades.
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by hibr1)
i think OP means in terms of law and its not easy to say "just go to uni" cos law firms care a lot about a level grades.
The OP did not fail though so it is a silly thread - a placement year will overcome a grade D.
it'snotthecounty
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi love.

As far as I am aware, that D will not be a setback in the slightest given that your degree level is good and you're able to provide evidence of your interest within the sector through work experience (volunteer and/or paid), extra curriculars and the like. I am looking toward a career in social work and/or counselling so having researched into I know I need volunteer experience to prove interest, so am in the midst of undertaking several opportunities. Research into what outside of a law degree your future employers might look for.

(And if you'd like to hear of a real A-level fail, know that I was predicated AAA and got CCD - depression, am I right? Hah).

Best of luck.
username4914760
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
The OP did not fail though so it is a silly thread - a placement year will overcome a grade D.
no it won't but okay
retajalshafeii
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Maybe the OP has high standards on what a good grade is and considers a D/C a fail. Some people think a C is a great grades whereas some think it’s rubbish. Preferences.
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Maybe the OP has high standards on what a good grade is and considers a D/C a fail. Some people think a C is a great grades whereas some think it’s rubbish. Preferences.
Preferences do not overcome FACTS - grades A*, A, B, C, D and E are all pass grades.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • University of Oxford
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?