lepetitjuif
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hello people,
I'm a French student who's going to go to uni next year and do a BA in Film Production at either Leeds Beckett University, AUB, UCA or others.
I am worried about where I will live.
I don't go out, don't go clubbing and prefer to stay at home and chill so I was thinking that maybe I should live on my own in a studio. Then, I heard everyone talking about this "uni experience" and thought that I could give it a try for the first year since uni is also about fun and making friends so I don't really know what to do.
Also, do I get maintenance loan for just a year or for the whole three years of my BA ? In other words, if I decide to live in uni owned halls for the first year, can I still live in private ones using the maintenance loan ?
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You get a maintenance loan every year- although that may change for EU students next year depending on what happens with Brexit.

Living in a studio flat in most types of halls is pretty expensive- most people's main reason for sharing is actually to save money.

In general, I do think uni halls have some pros. Unis tend to be fair landlords, and will let you out of your tenancy if you drop out of uni. They're also perhaps more likely to allow you to swap flats if you want to.

Privately owned halls can be good too, and can still give you the student experience. You also know exactly what you are getting, whereas uni owned can be a bit more of a lottery.
lepetitjuif
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
You get a maintenance loan every year- although that may change for EU students next year depending on what happens with Brexit.

Living in a studio flat in most types of halls is pretty expensive- most people's main reason for sharing is actually to save money.

In general, I do think uni halls have some pros. Unis tend to be fair landlords, and will let you out of your tenancy if you drop out of uni. They're also perhaps more likely to allow you to swap flats if you want to.

Privately owned halls can be good too, and can still give you the student experience. You also know exactly what you are getting, whereas uni owned can be a bit more of a lottery.
If one's parents earn way less than £25 000, how much would you potentially get for maintenance loan ? Would you advise me to live in uni halls for the first year ?
AxSirlotl
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by lepetitjuif)
If one's parents earn way less than £25 000, how much would you potentially get for maintenance loan ? Would you advise me to live in uni halls for the first year ?
My household income is less than £25k and I received virtually the full maintenance loan amount which easily covers accommodation costs (I was lucky to get the cheapest accommodation going). So I think you could expect to get around £9k if your circumstances are right.
lepetitjuif
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 days ago
(Original post by AxSirlotl)
My household income is less than £25k and I received virtually the full maintenance loan amount which easily covers accommodation costs (I was lucky to get the cheapest accommodation going). So I think you could expect to get around £9k if your circumstances are right.
All right, thanks pal
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • University of Oxford
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?