Explain the processes involved in the formation of a waterfall

Watch
georgia-marie
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I wrote an answer to this 6 mark question, and I'm going to ask my teacher to mark it, but can somebody give me some feedback? Any improvements? By the way, I'm currently doing GCSE geography under AQA.

-A waterfall is an erosional landform that occurs upstream when there is a horizontal layer of hard rock on top of a layer of softer rock.
-Erosional processes such as hydraulic action (the force of the river compressing air in rock cracks and consequently breaking bits off) occur as the river flows downstream.
-Differential erosion takes place, because of the soft rock being less resistant, and the hard rock is left overhanging over time.
-The hard band of rock can no longer support itself and breaks off, adding more material for erosion in the plunge pool at the base of the waterfall.
-This process continues upstream, forming a steep sided gorge as it goes.
naem071
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
A fairly solid response to the question. I would add that as the soft band of rock is eroded away at the riverbed, a notch forms and this increases the velocity of the river (by decreasing friction), thereby exacerbating erosion vertically and creating a steep fall.
georgia-marie
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by naem071)
A fairly solid response to the question. I would add that as the soft band of rock is eroded away at the riverbed, a notch forms and this increases the velocity of the river (by decreasing friction), thereby exacerbating erosion vertically and creating a steep fall.
thank you! I'll remember that for next time
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (150)
4.91%
Uncertainty around my education (450)
14.74%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (342)
11.2%
Lack of purpose or motivation (424)
13.89%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (143)
4.68%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (185)
6.06%
Loneliness (263)
8.61%
Financial worries (111)
3.64%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (123)
4.03%
Exposure to negative news/social media (139)
4.55%
Lack of real life entertainment (167)
5.47%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (269)
8.81%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (287)
9.4%

Watched Threads