Rolo1234
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I have 2 8 1 7 3 6 1 5 at gcse. Is that enough for Russell group unis for economics
kpatel18
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Sorry to be blunt, but probably not. They would be looking for all-rounders, not just specifically focusing on the degree you want to take..
ViktoriyaPetrov
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Rolo1234)
I have 2 8 1 7 3 6 1 5 at gcse. Is that enough for Russell group unis for economics
I think most unis look at a levels mostly so provided you have good a level grades they might accept you. to do economics at Leeds Uni you need a 7 in maths and a 6 in English and AAA for a level ( I think) so if you have that you should be fine. https://courses.leeds.ac.uk/f836/economics-bsc
Hope this helps
kpatel18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ViktoriyaPetrov)
I think most unis look at a levels mostly so provided you have good a level grades they might accept you. to do economics at Leeds Uni you need a 7 in maths and a 6 in English and AAA for a level ( I think) so if you have that you should be fine. https://courses.leeds.ac.uk/f836/economics-bsc
Hope this helps
yh i think thats what they mostly look at,.. i mean they look at ur gcses but not as much.. so youve got 2 years to pump up your grades!! good luck!!
Rolo1234
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by ViktoriyaPetrov)
Hope this helps
would i be a strong applicant? thx
Last edited by Rolo1234; 1 week ago
ViktoriyaPetrov
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
would i be a strong applicant? thx
I think as long as you do really well in your a levels they would definitely consider you. its only if the course is oversubscribed then you might be at a disadvantage compared to someone who got better GCSE results. However, im sure if you do really well in your a levels and have the minimum requirement at GCSE e.g. maths and English, then you'll be fine
swanseajack1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Those grades will be fine for most universities. The key grade will be your Maths grade. Most will want at least grade 6 in that.
_gcx
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Not a lot of universities fuss with GCSEs beyond minimum requirements of which you'd satisfy the vast majority unless possibly if the 5 was in english or maths.
(Original post by kpatel18)
Sorry to be blunt, but probably not. They would be looking for all-rounders, not just specifically focusing on the degree you want to take..
That's generally not true for universities in this country.
Rolo1234
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
(Original post by _gcx)
Not a lot of universities fuss with GCSEs beyond minimum requirements of which you'd satisfy the vast majority unless possibly if the 5 was in english or maths.

Thank you for the help!
Dexter321
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Can I also suggest you consider non-Russell Group. Parents and grandparents aren't necessarily up to speed on things like that. For example, I know people who chose Bath over places nearby like Bristol for economics even though Bath isn't RG. (not a criticism of Bristol....just that I know people who preferred Bath)
Last edited by Dexter321; 6 days ago
kpatel18
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by _gcx)

I mean for some of the Russell group unis they would want the best... its like the Ivy League ones just in uk... trust me I would know, my cousin has friends that got amazing a levels but got really low grades in their GCSEs (even the ones that weren't relevant) and weren't accepted because of that..
Rolo1234
Rep:
?
I mean for some of the Russell group unis they would want the best... its like the Ivy League ones just in uk... trust me I would know, my cousin has friends that got amazing a levels but got really low grades in their GCSEs (even the ones that weren't relevant) and weren't accepted because of that..
what would I have needed to get then?
Dexter321
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I agree. I think it largely comes down to the inaccuracy of 'predicted grades' and Uni's knowing how inaccurate (mostly to the upside) that they are.
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Unfortunately this is rubbish. Most RG universities are no better than many non RG universities. A few at the very top end might look at GCSE's but most want 5 GCSE's including Maths and English Language usually at grade 5 or C but sometimes higher. Bath for example ask grade A in Maths foe Psychology while most RG universities dont. OP will be fine with those results but if planning a science based subject may need grade 6 or B in MATHS
Rolo1234
Rep:
?
(Original post by swanseajack1)
Unfortunately this is rubbish. Most RG universities are no better than many non RG universities. A few at the very top end might look at GCSE's but most want 5 GCSE's including Maths and English Language usually at grade 5 or C but sometimes higher. Bath for example ask grade A in Maths foe Psychology while most RG universities dont. OP will be fine with those results but if planning a science based subject may need grade 6 or B in MATH
I only did 7 gcses. Would that be a disadvantage bu any chance, I am very worried
OR321
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
2 8 1 7 3 6 1 5 at gcse.
The way you wrote this made me very uncomfortable.
Rolo1234
Rep:
?
(Original post by OR321)
The way you wrote this made me very uncomfortable.
sorry
Dexter321
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Don't be worried. Just do your best at A Level. Most important is predicted A level grades. Ultimately, you need to persuade your teachers to have faith in you getting A's and maybe B's. I know at least some courses with Russell Group......and at least as good non Russell Group.....were giving places in clearing with the odd grade C thrown in.
Rolo1234
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dexter321)
Don't be worried. Just do your best at A Level. Most important is predicted A level grades. Ultimately, you need to persuade your teachers to have faith in you getting A's and maybe B's. I know at least some courses with Russell Group......and at least as good non Russell Group.....were giving places in clearing with the odd grade C thrown in.
Ok thanks
jduxie4414
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
They usually look at your GCSEs in comparison to your school/ schools like you to see how well you performed compared to them. Say you went to a sh** school and did meh but the top of your class then they’ll understand. But if you go to a very high achieving school and do meh they’ll be a little worried do you understand? You’ve got every chance of getting in and doing the you want or better so don’t worry about it, just try to snash your a levels
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate