Checcck123
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I've just started year 12 and I chose 4 subjects for my a-levels (maths, economics, geography and further maths) and I'm unsure on whether I should drop further maths. I got a grade 8 in my GCSEs for maths (2 marks off a 9) yet I still feel as though it'll be too hard for me. Our class is small with only 5 people and I can't help but feel like being behind everyone. We're currently starting with mechanics and core pure maths (edexcel spec) and I don't necessarily find anything hard yet but then again I've only been to 2 lessons. My teachers have been telling us how hard the further maths paper was this year and it's scaring me. We have drop and swap week in about 2-3 weeks however because I'm taking 4 subjects I'll be able to drop another subject whenever I want to. I just need advice on whether I should drop it now as I feel like I'll do it eventually or further down the line when I find it harder. Another reason as to why I'm hesitant to drop it is because I'm interested in studying economics in LSE and further maths is desired. Any advice would be helpful!
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Don't see why you'd drop FM except from the fact you could possibly struggle. (which you don't really have any reason to think) Don't buy into scaremongering. People have gone from 8s to A*s in FM. Yours was particularly high and practically a 9, so don't presume there's going to be a problem when you might be fine. It's far too early to tell these things, if you want to take the subject just stick with it for now.

Equally, I know of some people that have gone from 9s at GCSE to Cs/Ds in single maths nevermind further. Your GCSE grade isn't a great predictor.
Last edited by _gcx; 2 years ago
avacados1
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I’d say keep on going and don’t drop out until ur really struggling. I’m sure u won’t and think u will be fine
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (24)
13.48%
I need help researching courses (12)
6.74%
I need help with filling out the application form (9)
5.06%
I need help with my personal statement (75)
42.13%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (41)
23.03%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.69%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (14)
7.87%

Watched Threads