Anxious for university Watch

Jemi01
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I'm starting university in a couple of weeks and I'm getting anxious about being away from family and home. This would be okay to deal with generally but I always lose my appetite when I get anxious which is naturally going to affect my physical health. I'm not sure how to shake off this anxiety and how I'd be able to deal with it at uni?
Liverpool Hope University
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Jemi01)
I'm starting university in a couple of weeks and I'm getting anxious about being away from family and home. This would be okay to deal with generally but I always lose my appetite when I get anxious which is naturally going to affect my physical health. I'm not sure how to shake off this anxiety and how I'd be able to deal with it at uni?
Heyy Jemi01

Congratulations on getting your place at uni!

University and moving away are two big changes in your life, and just because it's an exciting time, it doesn't mean you can't be anxious or overwhelmed by it.

This may sound cliche, but everyone is equally as terrified as you. Even those who appear on the surface to be confident and relaxed. In a way, the nerves and anxiety you feel allow you to bond well with others because we are all looking to make friends and make our journey at uni easier.

There are great support systems set in place at universities. If you are so anxious is affects your appetite, physical and mental well-being, it may be worth speaking to your uni ahead of your moving in date and ask to speak to a mental health advisor/counselor. See what services they can provide you with and get things into motion now. If you don't feel comfortable doing that, you may want to seek support when and if you need it at uni.

For example, at Liverpool Hope, we offer drop-in counseling sessions for when and if you need it at any point, ongoing counseling sessions and group CBT sessions. Each university is different so definitely email/phone your uni for further information.

I hope this helps, best of luck!

Ashley
UniversityOfSunderland
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hey Jemi01

It's super normal to feel the way you're feeling, starting university is a big change and for some, can be the first time you're away from home. It's easy for me to say now that i've experience it, but I promise that everyone is feeling the exact same way as you.

The best thing to do is to join any Freshers' groups that your university has set up, that way you can get to know who you will be living with/be on your course which may help settle some of those nerves. It also means you'll have already broken the ice and wont have any awkward first meets when you arrive.
When you arrive, throw yourself into everything and try to not shy away in your room, keep your door open and be as open to new opportunities as you can. Universities offer a range of activities during Freshers' week, so even if the big club nights aren't your thing, there will be something that will be.

It may also be worth reaching out to your university now to take advantage of their wellbeing services if this is something you feel you will need whilst at university.
For example, here at Sunderland our Wellbeing Team work with students who express a need for support before they arrive. Whether that's drop in's (depending on their location) or phonecalls/skype sessions, they work with you to ease you into life as a student, and will continue to do so once you're on campus too.

Don't be afraid to ask for help
MidgetFever
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Just remember that this is natural and everyone is in the same boat.

How do I know? There's been hundreds of these threads lately, everyone's worried.

Just enjoy meeting new people, you can all help eachother through it. They'll be understanding too.
Aberystwyth University Student Ambassador
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Hi there Jemi01

You are not alone in feeling anxious before starting university, I myself before I started university was anxious about moving away from home and being around people who I had never met before, but this is completely normal and there will be a lot of others feeling the same way as you.

One you arrive at uni you will see that other freshers are in the same boat as you, people generally will be very willing to reach out and talk to new people, especially their flatmates and because of this, it will be very easy to make new friends and settle in, which hopefully will ease your anxiety. It you find that you don't have much in common with your flatmates or you enjoy doing different things, that's okay! There will be lots of other opportunities to meet new people in your first couple of weeks on uni. I would recommend having a look at what kinds of societies your university offers and to get involved with anything that takes your interest; societies are a fantastic way of getting to know and make friends with like minded people!

Hope this helps, please let me know if you have any other questions!

Eliza
Anonymous #1
Report 5 days ago
hey, I acc feel what ur feeling, same here will be going to uni in a week or so, and so anxious Ive been sick a couple times. I get the same thing as u I lose my appetite coz I think when u feel nervous everything just freezes in ur body and ur in a fight or flight state. try and see if u can find any type of counselling or anyone to talk to at ur uni and if not, then just think it will be okay, it might be fun in the end and you will make loads of friends, and u will see ur family in weekends and holidays. think like ur doing this to get a job, so even if it doesn't go well, its not the end things might change? I wish u the best of luck and that u slowly start feeling less anxious, remember life is shortttt, lets be brave and go do this!!!!!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (188)
23.98%
Pop (191)
24.36%
Jazz (30)