The Student Room Group

Picking a "new" subject at degree level?

I'm currently on a gap year and reapplying to uni as I had a sudden change of heart in what I wanted to study and where I wanted to study. I have decided to apply for social policy instead of geography as it is these human components that I prefer. I have come across a number of courses I like the look of including Social Policy and Politics (BSc) at Bristol.
I'm worried that my lack of knowledge of politics may make this an issue for me. I wanted to take politics as an A-Level however it was not available to me. I watch the news and have an idea of current politics and I have a year to try and get a better understanding. I was wondering if anyone else has applied for/completed a degree in a somewhat new subject and if this posed any problems for them? thank you :smile:
Original post by asairab
I'm currently on a gap year and reapplying to uni as I had a sudden change of heart in what I wanted to study and where I wanted to study. I have decided to apply for social policy instead of geography as it is these human components that I prefer. I have come across a number of courses I like the look of including Social Policy and Politics (BSc) at Bristol.
I'm worried that my lack of knowledge of politics may make this an issue for me. I wanted to take politics as an A-Level however it was not available to me. I watch the news and have an idea of current politics and I have a year to try and get a better understanding. I was wondering if anyone else has applied for/completed a degree in a somewhat new subject and if this posed any problems for them? thank you :smile:

Does the course description mention any desired A-Level subjects in its entry requirements, and do you meet the criteria? If so, it may be possible for you to study Social Policy and Politics without having studied Politics (your first year modules will lay down the foundations of the subjects for your learning), but I would definitely recommend you do some wider reading and research into this field. You may wish to go on open days to get more information about the course itself and speak to lecturers about any questions you may have.
Reply 2
Original post by asairab

I have come across a number of courses I like the look of including Social Policy and Politics (BSc) at Bristol.

Looking at this specific course details online - their Admission statement!

AAB including an essay-based subject
Applications are scored and ranked based on their academic record, according to their
achieved or predicted results with the following weightings:
GCSE 20% | A-Level 80%
We may refer to the personal statement and reference to differentiate between applicants
with similar academic profiles.
For these courses, applicants are not routinely interviewed.

So my reading is, if you have the grades, I wouldn't worry too much about having any Politics knowledge. If they require / prefer you to have a specific A level, they will usually make it clear!

If you are concerned at all - email the admissions department and they can forward on to the relevant faculty to give you reassurance!

Other universities will have similar information for their admission process available!
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending