utv
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I am struggling to understand how many things are involved in a nervous response.

does one receptor detect a stimulus which generates a nerve impulses which travels along the sensory neurone then CNS then motor then one effector cell then a response or do many receptors detect a stimulus causing a nerve impulse which causes many cells to be stimulated?
All Blunt
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The number of receptors stimulated isn't of importance, you should think about it as a single type of receptor in a specific area. The receptor transmits an impulse down the sensory neurone, to the relay neurone and then to the motor neurone which stimulates an effector, i.e. a muscle or gland where a reaction happens. This is if it is a reflex action i.e. involuntary, this process is the reflex arc and happens before the impulse reaches the brain, ( although the impulse is not always transmitted to the brain, e.g. dilation of eyes wouldn't etc). If the reaction is voluntary then the impulse is transmitted to the brain before a reaction is started.
Last edited by All Blunt; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (58)
28.57%
No - I have already returned home (24)
11.82%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (46)
22.66%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (21)
10.34%
No - I live at home during term anyway (54)
26.6%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed