The Student Room Group

Everyone stares at me 😭

Hi so I live in an area where there are a lot of Muslims yet people still stare at me when I go out with a mean look on their face. I wear the hijab but so so many other girls wear it as well where I am from . I hate the stares. It makes me feel 100x more paranoid and self conscious . Please can someone tell how I can stop caring what people think and just ignore these horrible stares I get . It’s really difficult for me

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
They look at you because you might be a familiar family member maybe? I mean that's how a Muslim community is. (Not a Muslim btw)
Reply 2
Original post by Seris
They look at you because you might be a familiar family member maybe? I mean that's how a Muslim community is. (Not a Muslim btw)

I understand but they give me a look as if I’ve killed their family member . Complete strangers give me some pretty mean glares and o smile back at them and it doesn’t change anything 😔
Do you wear the hijab in a non traditional way? Maybe the way you dress doesn't match how other typical muslims would dress? Are you from a certain ethnicity? I'm pale because I'm arab and when I spent a year at uni in a very asian area i got stared at all the time to the point I couldn't sleep, I developed anxiety, I became paranoid and I wanted to take off my hijab at some point.

Noone's going to stare at you BECAUSE you're a hijabi, there must be some other reason. I am aware that most muslims in this country are asian so if you're a non asian muslim like black or white or whatnot this could be the reason.

Aren't you the same girl who posted about you smiling to strangers and they're not smiling back at you?
Reply 4
Original post by geniequeen48
Do you wear the hijab in a non traditional way? Maybe the way you dress doesn't match how other typical muslims would dress? Are you from a certain ethnicity? I'm pale because I'm arab and when I spent a year at uni in a very asian area i got stared at all the time to the point I couldn't sleep, I developed anxiety, I became paranoid and I wanted to take off my hijab at some point.

Noone's going to stare at you BECAUSE you're a hijabi, there must be some other reason. I am aware that most muslims in this country are asian so if you're a non asian muslim like black or white or whatnot this could be the reason.

I’m pakistani and well I guess I don’t wear the abaya and hijab but my clothes are loose fitted and I wear long tops close to my knees. And yes I feel extremely paranoid and anxious all the time as well. I wrap my hijab around my head - it doesn’t look too large and humpy but at the same time it’s not tight on my head . :frown:
I'm guessing it's a South Asian community. Don't be paranoid cuz they got a real staring problem. Especially Pakistanis whew I'm just trying to get some milk and you see these women staring a whole straight through you.
Reply 6
Original post by Prussianxo
I'm guessing it's a South Asian community. Don't be paranoid cuz they got a real staring problem. Especially Pakistanis whew I'm just trying to get some milk and you see these women staring a whole straight through you.

I agree, however it’s not only the Pakistani Muslims it’s also the other people - white people, black , Chinese, it’s as if there’s something on my face 😔 I really hate it. It’s so so hurtful when ppl do this they don’t understand. Hence why I really try and not stare at ppl when I go outside as I know how it feels
I don't get why they would stare at you 'as if you’ve killed their family member'.

A lot of people get stared at. What's different about you that you're getting 'mean' stares?
Reply 8
Original post by Anonymous
Hi so I live in an area where there are a lot of Muslims yet people still stare at me when I go out with a mean look on their face. I wear the hijab but so so many other girls wear it as well where I am from . I hate the stares. It makes me feel 100x more paranoid and self conscious . Please can someone tell how I can stop caring what people think and just ignore these horrible stares I get . It’s really difficult for me

Hey I also get stares and the occasional rude comment because I’m Asian. The first step to not caring is remembering that there is nothing wrong with you and that THEY are in the wrong for making false accusations of us - we are victims of prejudice. I think you should be proud of your religion and ignore the ignorant, uneducated people.
Reply 9
Original post by geniequeen48

Aren't you the same girl who posted about you smiling to strangers and they're not smiling back at you?

Yes I have posted about this before but I didn’t get right responses - so I done it again today with a little more info about myself in the description- the ither post I felt like people probably thought I was begging for attention. I just want people that can relate and help I guess
Some will stare but feel confidant and be yourself soon they will get bored at staring at you.smile as it's a blessing too.
SAMEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Oh right sorry I thought you said that you lived in a White community, but that’s weird, I wonder why you would get stares?
Original post by Dunya
I don't get why they would stare at you 'as if you’ve killed their family member'.

A lot of people get stared at. What's different about you that you're getting 'mean' stares?

Exactly what I think . It’s got to the point that when I go out with a friend they would notice it and ask me things like “do U know her” “did u see how she looked at u , do u know her ?
Exactly what I think . It’s got to the point that when I go out with a friend they would notice it and ask me things like “do U know her” “did u see how she looked at u , do u know her ?

Seems a little difficult to believe and understand. You may just be over paranoid.
I agree, however it’s not only the Pakistani Muslims it’s also the other people - white people, black , Chinese, it’s as if there’s something on my face 😔 I really hate it. It’s so so hurtful when ppl do this they don’t understand. Hence why I really try and not stare at ppl when I go outside as I know how it feels

Does it happen when you're out with others?

Take it as a compliment, they might see you as so good looking they can't help but stare XD
Reply 16
This is paranoia.

Next time you feel someone is staring at you, simy look at them.

9 times out of 10 you will look at them and realise they weren't staring at you, or if they were looking at you it wasn't in a bad way.

Why? Because when you look at someone you can read their face and tell to an extent what their thinking (unless your autistic, then u might read their face wrong).
Original post by Dunya
Seems a little difficult to believe and understand. You may just be over paranoid.

Why is it hard to believe? I know I am paranoid but when I realise it’s not just me and not just in my head. It makes it worse
Reply 18
Why is it hard to believe? I know I am paranoid but when I realise it’s not just me and not just in my head. It makes it worse

I've suffered from this type of paranoia as well.

What has helped me is looking at the people I think are syaring at me. Guess what I found?

Some were actually looking past me, some were looking at my direction but clearly day dreaming, some actually were staring (go figure some people just do this sometimes), etc etc.

Try it.
Original post by Nununu
I've suffered from this type of paranoia as well.

What has helped me is looking at the people I think are syaring at me. Guess what I found?

Some were actually looking past me, some were looking at my direction but clearly day dreaming, some actually were staring (go figure some people just do this sometimes), etc etc.

Try it.

Thank you! I appreciate your help

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending