The Student Room Group

Screwed for Final Year

I've just found out that my final year is weighted differently than I thought and realised that I'm absolutely screwed as I messed up second year, and even if I get a 65 average this year I'll still be 1% off a 2:1 overall. Does anybody have any advice on pulling up grades or good study habits? I've honestly never even gotten a first in any of my modules so I don't know where to start and I just feel like my life is over.
Original post by Anonymous
I've just found out that my final year is weighted differently than I thought and realised that I'm absolutely screwed as I messed up second year, and even if I get a 65 average this year I'll still be 1% off a 2:1 overall. Does anybody have any advice on pulling up grades or good study habits? I've honestly never even gotten a first in any of my modules so I don't know where to start and I just feel like my life is over.

What course do you take? Have you spoken to your tutor about your options? Often if you have a good relationship with your lecturers and have a word with them, they can offer you help and advise.

Most unis have methods of upgrading near misses. You need to check your degree regulations.
Reply 3
Original post by Abi Renner
What course do you take? Have you spoken to your tutor about your options? Often if you have a good relationship with your lecturers and have a word with them, they can offer you help and advise.

I take joint honours French and business. I start next week so I'll schedule a meeting with my tutor and see what she says, thank you
Reply 4
Original post by ageshallnot
Most unis have methods of upgrading near misses. You need to check your degree regulations.

That's the thing, 58% is the absolute lower limit of a 2:1 at my uni and even if I get straight 65s this year I'll only be left with a 57... I really don't know what to do
That's the thing, 58% is the absolute lower limit of a 2:1 at my uni and even if I get straight 65s this year I'll only be left with a 57... I really don't know what to do

Get 66?

If you wanting to be aiming for a 2:1, you really need to start getting firsts in your remaining modules. One way is to look at your feedback from your second year modules, as this can often help you identify areas for improvement. If you don't understand the feedback, email your module tutor for more clarification. It depends on your subject but generally you want to make sure you get to grips with the content of your remaining modules - any areas of confusion need to be cleared up by either seeking advice from course mates or from your module tutor. Make sure to focus on your independent learning and do some wider reading outside of your classes. Engaging with sources and using this to inform your arguments during assignments shows you have a deeper level of understanding of the topic rather than just using the material provided in classes. Bring in your own opinion and fully explain your reasoning, linking the content from your class to your wider reading.

Make sure you are organised in your final year and keep on top of your studies, making notes as you go along. Plan your assignments well so you have plenty of time for research and writing to meet your deadlines.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending