Usama156
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
So I'm moving out for uni next week and it's all the way down in essex meanwhile I'm from Birmingham. The car journey to and from the uni is 2 and a half hours (140 miles) and so I'm not sure if i want to be doing that every week since i plan on coming home most weekends. Its that or I take a more expensive train down to euston and then take underground and another overground to the uni which is v time consuming too and underground lowkey creeps me out from experience. I've just thought about possibly just driving down to london euston and parking it somewhere over the weekend, jump on a train to new street and I'll be home with some time for work on the train too. Am I making the right decision? The travel to euston from the uni is 1 hour and euston to Birmingham is 1 and a half so roughly same time without the fatigue and danger from driving that long. Also does anyone know where i could actually park for the year? Tyy in advance
cheesecakelove
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Usama156)
So I'm moving out for uni next week and it's all the way down in essex meanwhile I'm from Birmingham. The car journey to and from the uni is 2 and a half hours (140 miles) and so I'm not sure if i want to be doing that every week since i plan on coming home most weekends. Its that or I take a more expensive train down to euston and then take underground and another overground to the uni which is v time consuming too and underground lowkey creeps me out from experience. I've just thought about possibly just driving down to london euston and parking it somewhere over the weekend, jump on a train to new street and I'll be home with some time for work on the train too. Am I making the right decision? The travel to euston from the uni is 1 hour and euston to Birmingham is 1 and a half so roughly same time without the fatigue and danger from driving that long. Also does anyone know where i could actually park for the year? Tyy in advance
Is it necessary for you to go home every weekend? Could you go home less frequently to save you travelling so much?

I would recommend train if possible - see if you can split ticket or buy advanced fares, or get a railcard if you don't have one. You could also look into coaches, which may be cheaper. Driving back and forth may be too tiring and take up a big chunk of your free time. Your idea of parking your car at London Euston - have you looked into parking costs? If it is expensive, does it still look like the best alternative?
Usama156
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hmm thing is I'll miss my family a PHUK ton and I don't really want to get used to life without them quite just yet, so I want to see them as much as I can which will probably be most weekends. Train is okay from London to birmingham but from essex to Euston its just horrible and defo not a journey I'd like to take weekly. Plus it's more expensive too that way I think
cheesecakelove
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Usama156)
Hmm thing is I'll miss my family a PHUK ton and I don't really want to get used to life without them quite just yet, so I want to see them as much as I can which will probably be most weekends. Train is okay from London to birmingham but from essex to Euston its just horrible and defo not a journey I'd like to take weekly. Plus it's more expensive too that way I think
I understand you will miss your family but attending university is a great experience in itself, and you should take up new opportunities, meet new people and make new friends too. Weekends can be a good time to do so. At least for the first semester, I would advise not to go home every weekend, maybe every few weekends if you had to. You can always contact your family by phone or video chat if you do get too homesick!

If you still want to travel home, is taking the coach an option? Is it possible for your family to visit you one weekend?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • University of Oxford
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?