ForeverYoungx
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hey! I’ll be starting university soon! And I’m freaking out about budgeting already :/ I was wondering what is the best and cheapest way to travel to uni? I am keen on using the train to travel there and back. I was thinking of investing in an annual tfl travel card, rather than topping up consistently. It would give me access to unlimited bus rides and certain train zones for a year. But it is quite expensive (over £1000) and so I’m starting to have second thoughts. My family members have said to opt in for a monthly travel card since there are long holidays - so they said to renew the travel card in the months I have uni. I’ve also heard about the 16-24 railcards, which reduce train fares by 1/3 if it is linked to an 18+ Oyster card.

Which one seems like the cheaper alternative? If you have any other ideas please let me know, always open to new suggestions. How do you save money whilst travelling to uni? Any tips?

Many thanks! 😊
Samsam31
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi, I'm going via car but the only thing I can say is I think if you either make a student account with Santander or Natwest (can't remember which one) you get some sort of train ticket discount for 4 years. Might be worth looking into x
Badges: 13
Report 1 week ago
I have attached a the student fares for an 18+ oyster card. Depending on the zones you use expenses are different. There is a trick told by my friend to save some money which is to use a bus for a whole zone instead of paying for an extra zone. I.e if you will normally use zones 1 - 3 (uni located in zone 1, home in zone 3) you can take the bus from zone 3 to zone 2 and obtain a monthly for zone 1 - 2 which would be relatively cheaper.

I agree with your parents to do monthly instead of annual. First of all uni doesnt run for the whole year. Secondly you do get holidays and days when you dont want to be in uni thus it is better to budget dependong on upcoming month. Also, if you ever want to go outside of the specified zones of your annual you need to pay so its better to budget for upcoming month one step at a time.
Attached files
Sharemine
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
if u get a student bankcard, i know santander give a 4 year free railcard
ecomhero
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Did you apply for a maintenance loan because a maintenance loan can cover your travelling expenses?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?