What are some good neighbourhoods to live in if you're a student in Birmingham? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
By "good" I don't mean super posh/expensive though, because everybody knows students are broke!
Tyga1
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Sally oak
Birmingham City University
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
By "good" I don't mean super posh/expensive though, because everybody knows students are broke!
Hi!

We have lot's of student accommodation near campus near/in the city centre, or near our City South Campus if you're studying there. You can see all of our halls of residence here. If you're not wanting to live in halls or the city centre, the main area students tend to get housing in is Selly Oak.

I lived there myself for a couple of years at uni, it's full of other students and not just from BCU but Uni of Birmingham and Aston too, so a good way to meet other people, it's fairly cheap, there's an Aldi for cheap food shops, plus other supermarkets, convenience stores, parks, student pubs like Bristol Pear, and a new shopping park with a Nandos which I wish was there when I lived there!

Plenty buses run through there to get to town/campus and it's got a train station so travelling in is easy.

Some other areas are Edgbaston, Bournbrook, Erdington or Harborne (but that's a bit more expensive and probably more UOB students beacsue it's nearer their campus).

I hope this helps! Let me now if you have any other questions

Thanks,

Lydia
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Birmingham City University)
Hi!

We have lot's of student accommodation near campus near/in the city centre, or near our City South Campus if you're studying there. You can see all of our halls of residence here. If you're not wanting to live in halls or the city centre, the main area students tend to get housing in is Selly Oak.

I lived there myself for a couple of years at uni, it's full of other students and not just from BCU but Uni of Birmingham and Aston too, so a good way to meet other people, it's fairly cheap, there's an Aldi for cheap food shops, plus other supermarkets, convenience stores, parks, student pubs like Bristol Pear, and a new shopping park with a Nandos which I wish was there when I lived there!

Plenty buses run through there to get to town/campus and it's got a train station so travelling in is easy.

Some other areas are Edgbaston, Bournbrook, Erdington or Harborne (but that's a bit more expensive and probably more UOB students beacsue it's nearer their campus).

I hope this helps! Let me now if you have any other questions

Thanks,

Lydia
Thank you, this is very useful! Is Selly Oaks a good area for students who go to the Curzon Building to study?
IStudyLaw
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Thank you, this is very useful! Is Selly Oaks a good area for students who go to the Curzon Building to study?
Hey, Selly is actually a bit of a trek if you're at the city centre campus of BCU so generally students at this campus tend to live in Edgbaston or areas a little closer to the city centre so that it's easier to get a bus/walk to uni. At the end of the day, you can live anywhere and it can be dodgy so as long as you pick a residential or student area and are sensible, you can't go wrong There are also a lot of apartments in the city centre which students live in so maybe that is something you could look into? Brum is a massive city so there are a loads of options of where to live, just try not to rush into finding somewhere because you don't want to end up rushing and not liking the place when you actually move in!!!

If you're going into first year I would defo recommend student accommodation for that year because it's such a great place to make friends and is definitely full of weird, wonderful and interesting people! It's a good experience and allows you to make friends somewhere other than in your classes
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 24 Nov '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices? (November update)

Yes I know where I'm applying (17)
80.95%
No I haven't decided yet (2)
9.52%
Yes but I might change my mind (2)
9.52%

Watched Threads