Prorogation will be the nail in the tories coffin. Watch

Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by L i b)
The Tories are doing well because the opposition is pitiful and because there's a lot of riled-up folk who want Brexit to be delivered. That doesn't look like it'll change any time soon.
Low bar to go from there... I mean an inanimate carbon rod would poll well against labour at present.
Onde
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Tourists from around the world come to see our government inaction.
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Napp)
Low bar to go from there... I mean an inanimate carbon rod would poll well against labour at present.
It's definitely #Rod2019 for me.
DSilva
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ByEeek)
I would agree wholeheartedly but for the simple fact that Labour are equally unappealing and every other party is rather niche.

Even to me the Tories are the least worst which is bo compliment.
Surely you're not going to vote Conservative?
DSilva
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by L i b)
The Tories are doing well because the opposition is pitiful and because there's a lot of riled-up folk who want Brexit to be delivered. That doesn't look like it'll change any time soon.
Who will you vote for?
ByEeek
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by DSilva)
Surely you're not going to vote Conservative?
In the words of Ian Paisley... NEVER. NEVER. NEVEEEEEEEEERRRRRRR!!!!!!
Burton Bridge
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by ByEeek)
In the words of Ian Paisley... NEVER. NEVER. NEVEEEEEEEEERRRRRRR!!!!!!
LOL never say never mate.
Archetypally
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
It won't be. With any other Labour party, who actually had the consistency of policy or aptitude to properly take advantage of this situation, it wouldn't be looking good for them, but fortunately for the Tories, that's not the case.
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I hope most of all it ends Mr Johnson's time in number 10 quickly. Mrs Thatcher, Mr Major and above all Mr Churchill would never have done such a disgraceful action.
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by barnetlad)
I hope most of all it ends Mr Johnson's time in number 10 quickly. Mrs Thatcher, Mr Major and above all Mr Churchill would never have done such a disgraceful action.
Mr major was the last person to prorogue Parliament to stop Parliament scrutinising.

Reality and yourself are not at one
Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by imlikeahermit)
We have not left yet.
Ok.....?
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Lib sums up my thoughts quite well.

When even moderates like me no longer trust the opposition to uphold Brexit, it makes it very difficult to oppose questionable actions given that the Tories under Boris are still the only chance we have of delivering Brexit.

The situation is even more amplified by Labour being led by the hard left, I consider a Corbyn government to be a worse prospect than remaining which means that a vote for anybody but the Tories carries even more horrific consequences than the betrayal of the referendum vote, not least the likely betrayal of the union and my birth and home lands being torn apart.

Moral of the story, if it gets Brexit out of the way then Boris should use whatever means are required to achieve even a No Deal Brexit. Referenda should also be made illegal.
DSilva
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
Lib sums up my thoughts quite well.

When even moderates like me no longer trust the opposition to uphold Brexit, it makes it very difficult to oppose questionable actions given that the Tories under Boris are still the only chance we have of delivering Brexit.

The situation is even more amplified by Labour being led by the hard left, I consider a Corbyn government to be a worse prospect than remaining which means that a vote for anybody but the Tories carries even more horrific consequences than the betrayal of the referendum vote, not least the likely betrayal of the union and my birth and home lands being torn apart.

Moral of the story, if it gets Brexit out of the way then Boris should use whatever means are required to achieve even a No Deal Brexit. Referenda should also be made illegal.
A government that won't abide by the rule of law should worry us all. It sets a dangerous precedent, which I'm sure you'll oppose if Corbyn does the same.

The Tories are the biggest threat to the union out of the UK wide parties at the moment. Not least given their dismissal of Scottish judges.
Last edited by DSilva; 6 days ago
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
A government that won't abide by the rule of law should worry us all. It sets a dangerous precedent, which I'm sure you'll oppose if Corbyn does the same.

The Tories are the biggest threat to the union out of the UK wide parties at the moment. Not least given their dismissal of Scottish judges.
Really? I think you might find the parties will to jump into bed with the SNP are just slightly more of a risk.
L i b
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Who will you vote for?
The Conservatives, most likely. It's hardly an impassioned vote though, it's to keep Jeremy Corbyn out.

Perhaps naively, I do hold out some hope that - in any case - a Withdrawal Agreement will be signed at the final hour and that it'll all be OK. That's apparently what the PM wants - and I do actually believe him on that one. The problem is, of course, whether he can negotiate anything different and, then, whether he can rally a majority in favour of it.
L i b
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Yeah, some idiot said that and was quickly reined in by the party. In large part because the Conservative Party is full of Scottish lawyers.

Quite how that threatens the union, I'm not sure.
DSilva
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by L i b)
Yeah, some idiot said that and was quickly reined in by the party. In large part because the Conservative Party is full of Scottish lawyers.

Quite how that threatens the union, I'm not sure.
I don't think it's just one idiot, I think it reflects the mood of the the leadership and much of the party. No 10 were originally briefing that the judges were biased, until they were slapped down by the Justice Secretary. For the Justice Secretary to have to actually confirm the government respects the courts, and will abide by the rule of law is quite telling in and of itself. Kwasi Kwarteng also made a rather thinly veiled attack of the judges too
It's no surprise, given that a few years ago the Tories completely failed to defend the courts after the article 50 ruling.

The party is becoming an angry cult of personality. Surely as a liberal Tory it must concern you that moderate Mps like Gauke and Stewart are being booted out the party an masse, as the party fills with 'hard right entryists', as Hammond put it.
Last edited by DSilva; 5 days ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (201)
23.96%
Pop (208)
24.79%
Jazz (33)
3.93%
Classical (46)
5.48%
Hip-Hop (162)
19.31%
Electronic (57)
6.79%
Indie (132)
15.73%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise