The Student Room Group

(EUstud)Foundation year, or should I still shoot my shot at an application?

Hey guys, just looking for some advice as I am quite unfamiliar with how applications work over there!

For the past few years (since the age of 13), I haven't been able to attend school full time (up until this year) and my attendance record has, at its most (last year) been 50%. This was due to a serious chronic illness that has slowly gotten better over the years, but as you can imagine, my grades have suffered quite a lot.

Here in Sweden, we do three years of study at upper secondary as opposed to two, and in my first year, I bombed out as expected and only managed to obtain 1 A, and two Bs out of 7 subjects. However, in my second year, with my increased attendance (50%), I managed to get an A in 7/9 subjects, but as it stands in my transcripts, I did pretty bad in my first year due to mitigating circumstances, and so because of that, I am unfortunately pretty much defined by my first year at upper secondary and to an extent, my second year.

I am predicted an A in 7/7 courses this year, but even if I do manage to obtain that, I don't really think it's enough to apply to top unis considering my first year, and second year results.

Any thoughts on my situation? Also, do you think an admissions officer would be able to help over the phone? Haven't called because am a major P.

Thanks guys and gals. Soz for the long read x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending