Difference between DTUS and UAS (and equivalent) Watch

EngineeringOr
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi, I'm going to university this year and have been considering applying for the Military Bursary schemes. This isn't specific to UAS, I include URNU and Army Undergrad scheme too, just putting UAS as an example.
I know that with UAS you get the flight training involved and DTUS is specifically aimed at Engineering, but I'm a little confused what the main difference between them is, because as far as I can see, you can apply for UAS under Engineering Officer too? Do they have different training weekends and a different route of access to IOT or anything like that?

Thanks.
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by EngineeringOr)
Hi, I'm going to university this year and have been considering applying for the Military Bursary schemes. This isn't specific to UAS, I include URNU and Army Undergrad scheme too, just putting UAS as an example.
I know that with UAS you get the flight training involved and DTUS is specifically aimed at Engineering, but I'm a little confused what the main difference between them is, because as far as I can see, you can apply for UAS under Engineering Officer too? Do they have different training weekends and a different route of access to IOT or anything like that?

Thanks.
From what I've seen of DTUS, it's more green orientated (though this differs per unit) but obviously focuses on the technical roles, while UAS / URNU / UOTC will be broader looks at the service as a whole and all the different roles within them.
RAF_Adam
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by EngineeringOr)

Thanks.
Hi

DTUS is the sponsorship you'll get for the Engineering degree. The UAS is what you join as part of being sponsored by the RAF, it's to give you an idea of what to expect when you start your career and do IOT, for example. You can join the UAS even if you're not under sponsorship from the RAF. But you're expected to join the UAS if sponsored.

I can't advise what the Navy/Army schemes do, sorry.

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by RAF_Adam)
Hi

DTUS is the sponsorship you'll get for the Engineering degree. The UAS is what you join as part of being sponsored by the RAF, it's to give you an idea of what to expect when you start your career and do IOT, for example. You can join the UAS even if you're not under sponsorship from the RAF. But you're expected to join the UAS if sponsored.

I can't advise what the Navy/Army schemes do, sorry.

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment
Adam, is it the case now that DTUS is no longer it's own distinct organisation? 4 units (with silly names) across the country that are administered separately to the UAS structure and only at set universities?
ses92
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
If you get a DTUS sponsorship you then join the local DTUS Sqn, they are only for engineering students at certain universities. They are engineering focussed with readily available placements at RAF Stations.

For the UAS, you don't have to be sponsored to join, and they can help you in your application and getting a bursary. There are also Summer Vacation Attachments (SVAs) available similar to a DTUS placement. In the UAS you are more likely to take part in a wide variety of activities such as flying and Adventurous Training (AT), and Sqns are more local than DTUS so you can get more involved.

Both will be in recruitment currently, so the best way to find out more information would be to contact an individual Sqn, you'll be able to find email addresses or phone numbers online.
Last edited by ses92; 3 days ago
ArmyOfficerInfo
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
Hi, The Army have several schemes you could apply for:* Defence Technical Undergraduate Scheme - for specific technical courses at listed Universities. Offers up to £16,000 across four years of study. You would join your local DTUS Squadron and complete military activities, training and sports/adventure training. You would be required to commission into one of four technical Army Corps (The Royal Engineers, Royal Logistics Corps, Royal Signals and Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers (REME)) after your degree and complete a minimum length of service.* Army Undergraduate Bursary Schemes - there are three types of AUB(S): 1. Technical Bursary - for specific STEM degrees. Up to £25,000 bursary, join your local University Officer Training Corps and complete 45 days of military activities as above. Join the Army after your degree, into one of the four technical Corps and complete three year minimum length of service. 2. Standard Bursary - to support general degree study, not STEM specific. Up to £7,000. As above, join a UOTC, join the Army and complete the minimum return of service. however, you are not restricted to commissioning into technical Corps, so you have more freedom to join which Corps or Capbadge you might wish to. For example, you could apply for this bursary, read for a degree in English Literature and join the Infantry. 3. Enhanced Bursary - dependant on academic profile, degree type and other considerations, some candidates could be offered an Enhanced Bursary by the Bursary Board. This would result in a bursary of between £17,000-£24,000. In all other ways it is identical to the Standard Bursary.From 2024 the Army are likely to offer a replacement scheme for DTUS, alongside the AUB(S). The new scheme will remain focused on STEM graduates, offering an uplifted bursary to specifically target graduates for Army technical Corps. Hope this helps. For further information, and to apply, please visit https://apply.army.mod.uk/how-to-joi...fficer-bursary or call 0345 600 8080
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (216)
23.66%
Pop (224)
24.53%
Jazz (34)