The Student Room Group

Failed one module in first year

Hey,

I was 6 marks off the pass mark for one module in my first term. I’ve finished first year with an average of 63. I have two questions:

Will the fail mark affect my chances of getting into a masters programme? (Because they look at transcripts).

Do I have a chance of pushing that mean grade to a first class mark (we need a 70% overall)

Thank you!!!!
Original post by rsa2323
Hey,

I was 6 marks off the pass mark for one module in my first term. I’ve finished first year with an average of 63. I have two questions:

Will the fail mark affect my chances of getting into a masters programme? (Because they look at transcripts).

Do I have a chance of pushing that mean grade to a first class mark (we need a 70% overall)

Thank you!!!!

If you can improve your marks to a high 2:1 or first for your remaining modules and show consistent excellent performance, this will improve your chances of getting into a Masters (particularly as the one module you failed is a first year module). For a lot of degrees, first year doesn't count towards your final grade so long as you pass the year. Concentrate on studying well in your remaining modules and years of degree - the better you do, the higher your overall grade will be.
Reply 2
Original post by cheesecakelove
If you can improve your marks to a high 2:1 or first for your remaining modules and show consistent excellent performance, this will improve your chances of getting into a Masters (particularly as the one module you failed is a first year module). For a lot of degrees, first year doesn't count towards your final grade so long as you pass the year. Concentrate on studying well in your remaining modules and years of degree - the better you do, the higher your overall grade will be.

Thank you so much!! First year counts for 10% which I don’t think means a lot towards my final grade (and the lowest two grades and discarded each year). But yeah, I’m going to push for more higher 2.1s next year :smile:) do you have any advice on ways to get a higher mark? I study Philosophy
Original post by rsa2323
Thank you so much!! First year counts for 10% which I don’t think means a lot towards my final grade (and the lowest two grades and discarded each year). But yeah, I’m going to push for more higher 2.1s next year :smile:) do you have any advice on ways to get a higher mark? I study Philosophy

For a subject like philosophy, I would recommend doing wider reading outside of your lectures to improve your thinking. Make notes on the texts that you read, and try to connect this to the content of your lectures. When it comes to assignments, you can use this to help explain or reinforce your arguments, showing your opinion or perhaps contrasting one source with another. This shows you have a deeper level of understanding of the topic whilst also taking the effort to go beyond what was simply given to you in lectures. A good way to find good sources is to look in the bibliography of your textbook as they will often provide more detail or opinion about what you are learning.

Another tip is to look at the feedback you received from your previous modules as this will highlight areas to improve - if you aren't too sure about the comments, email your tutors for more clarification.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending