Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hey guys, I've posted something similar on another forum here, I'm not really sure whether this is the right forum to post this on, if it isn't please let me know, and where to place this so I can remove it.

Essentially, I'm quite stuck between going to Queen Mary and Lancaster University. I've had a mixture of responses, some saying that Lancaster is an amazing university, but then others saying that due to it not being a Russell Group I am put at a disadvantage. Does it matter that much?

I'm slightly worried about living away from home, this is not too relevant but if anyone can give some advice/their opinion that would be great.

Originally, I would have been glad to move away but at the wake of a recent visit to the hospital, I found that my health isn't exactly the best and in order to improve it, I would need to be eating regular healthy meals, staying active and just overall take better care of myself. I am someone who has usually had the aid of my mother to do such things for me, it's not to say I'm overtly lazy, but I have always had assistance. I'm not too knowledgeable about cooking but of course I am willing to learn, I was just wondering, would health problems - such as mine (not too severe at the moment but can be if I am unable to take care of myself) be a massive factor for choosing which uni to go to? (Queen Mary is pretty much down the road whereas Lancaster is 3 hours away by train).

If anyone could also shed light on why one uni might be better than the other in terms of academics or employability in their opinion that would be great too. Or any other pros/cons of one over the other.

Ignoring the obvious for me, such as Queen Mary would have a lower accommodation cost since I can live at home, I'd be near my family so I wouldn't have to completely worry about looking after myself and etc. I was so dead set on going to Lancaster but after my parents both expressed Queen Mary would be better for me so they could look after me and because they'd miss me, I started getting doubts. I really hate that because I was so into Lancaster, now I just don't know anymore.

Thank you very much if you took the time to read and write a response, I appreciate it.
mohvirol
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I am a lecturer at Lancaster University, it is amazing environment to study and live. Our ranking now is high and be away from your home will give you much experiences to be independant. My recommendation go ahead for Lancaster and being integrated within Lancaster society, you will like it more. If you need more contact, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Wishes
Lancaster Student Ambassador
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hey guys, I've posted something similar on another forum here, I'm not really sure whether this is the right forum to post this on, if it isn't please let me know, and where to place this so I can remove it.

Essentially, I'm quite stuck between going to Queen Mary and Lancaster University. I've had a mixture of responses, some saying that Lancaster is an amazing university, but then others saying that due to it not being a Russell Group I am put at a disadvantage. Does it matter that much?

I'm slightly worried about living away from home, this is not too relevant but if anyone can give some advice/their opinion that would be great.

Originally, I would have been glad to move away but at the wake of a recent visit to the hospital, I found that my health isn't exactly the best and in order to improve it, I would need to be eating regular healthy meals, staying active and just overall take better care of myself. I am someone who has usually had the aid of my mother to do such things for me, it's not to say I'm overtly lazy, but I have always had assistance. I'm not too knowledgeable about cooking but of course I am willing to learn, I was just wondering, would health problems - such as mine (not too severe at the moment but can be if I am unable to take care of myself) be a massive factor for choosing which uni to go to? (Queen Mary is pretty much down the road whereas Lancaster is 3 hours away by train).

If anyone could also shed light on why one uni might be better than the other in terms of academics or employability in their opinion that would be great too. Or any other pros/cons of one over the other.

Ignoring the obvious for me, such as Queen Mary would have a lower accommodation cost since I can live at home, I'd be near my family so I wouldn't have to completely worry about looking after myself and etc. I was so dead set on going to Lancaster but after my parents both expressed Queen Mary would be better for me so they could look after me and because they'd miss me, I started getting doubts. I really hate that because I was so into Lancaster, now I just don't know anymore.

Thank you very much if you took the time to read and write a response, I appreciate it.
Hello!
My name's Charlotte and I just finished 2nd year at Lancaster, but I'm also from Leytonstone and not far from QMUL!
Hopefully I can help you and let me know if you have any questions!
I would say the 'Russell Group' label has no impact at all as the uni has worked hard on securing industry connections and perfecting the careers service so you shouldn't be put at a disadvantage. Lancaster also has high rankings which employers may also consider. I understand if your health concerns you and you want to live at home but living on campus means there is a GP practice on your door step as well as a pharmacy. It's easy to keep active on the green campus and if you're worried about regular meals, you could go for catered accommodation. Lancaster is 2.5 hours from London Euston which considering how north it is, isn't too bad. It's also about an hour from Manchester. It's up to you whether this is a big enough downside!
What course are you planning to study? I can let you know a bit more about the employability of it.
Lancaster is one of the cheapest places to live, with one of the most affordable (but award winning) accommodation but also living in town would be so much cheaper - when I get back to London my bank account depletes significantly.
Of course your parents will miss you but it's really not too hard to get to Lancaster and they can visit any time!
I do also know someone who went to QMUL for their first year and transferred to Lancaster in their second (although this definitely can't be guaranteed).
Let me know if you have any questions and I hope this helped,
Charlotte
2nd year Biological Sciences with Biomedicine
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador)
Hello!
My name's Charlotte and I just finished 2nd year at Lancaster, but I'm also from Leytonstone and not far from QMUL!
Hopefully I can help you and let me know if you have any questions!
I would say the 'Russell Group' label has no impact at all as the uni has worked hard on securing industry connections and perfecting the careers service so you shouldn't be put at a disadvantage. Lancaster also has high rankings which employers may also consider. I understand if your health concerns you and you want to live at home but living on campus means there is a GP practice on your door step as well as a pharmacy. It's easy to keep active on the green campus and if you're worried about regular meals, you could go for catered accommodation. Lancaster is 2.5 hours from London Euston which considering how north it is, isn't too bad. It's also about an hour from Manchester. It's up to you whether this is a big enough downside!
What course are you planning to study? I can let you know a bit more about the employability of it.
Lancaster is one of the cheapest places to live, with one of the most affordable (but award winning) accommodation but also living in town would be so much cheaper - when I get back to London my bank account depletes significantly.
Of course your parents will miss you but it's really not too hard to get to Lancaster and they can visit any time!
I do also know someone who went to QMUL for their first year and transferred to Lancaster in their second (although this definitely can't be guaranteed).
Let me know if you have any questions and I hope this helped,
Charlotte
2nd year Biological Sciences with Biomedicine
Hi Charlotte,

Thank you very much for your response, it's very reassuring to hear all of this and I'm glad to know medical assistance is at hand as well. It was lovely reading about all your points, it has made me less apprehensive about going to Lancaster.
As for the course, I am going to study Financial Mathematics.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by mohvirol)
I am a lecturer at Lancaster University, it is amazing environment to study and live. Our ranking now is high and be away from your home will give you much experiences to be independant. My recommendation go ahead for Lancaster and being integrated within Lancaster society, you will like it more. If you need more contact, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Wishes
Thank you for your response, it makes me more assured about Lancaster!
Lancaster Student Ambassador
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi Charlotte,

Thank you very much for your response, it's very reassuring to hear all of this and I'm glad to know medical assistance is at hand as well. It was lovely reading about all your points, it has made me less apprehensive about going to Lancaster.
As for the course, I am going to study Financial Mathematics.
You can find out more about employment and stuff here: https://www.whatuni.com/degrees/fina...54941932/3744/
Financial Mathematics is a course run by Lancaster University Management School (or as we call it, LUMS). LUMS is very prestigious and has a very good reputation in industry. As a LUMS student you'll have access to the LUMS-only career service which prepares you for jobs in the industries you're more likely to go in to. You'll also have a personalised career mentor who will help you from day 1 to applying for graduate jobs.
I'm glad to hear it reassured you and I hope it helped a lot,
Charlotte
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador)
You can find out more about employment and stuff here: https://www.whatuni.com/degrees/fina...54941932/3744/
Financial Mathematics is a course run by Lancaster University Management School (or as we call it, LUMS). LUMS is very prestigious and has a very good reputation in industry. As a LUMS student you'll have access to the LUMS-only career service which prepares you for jobs in the industries you're more likely to go in to. You'll also have a personalised career mentor who will help you from day 1 to applying for graduate jobs.
I'm glad to hear it reassured you and I hope it helped a lot,
Charlotte
Oh, that's great to know, thank you so much!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (80)
14.29%
I'm not sure (24)
4.29%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (178)
31.79%
I have already dropped out (12)
2.14%
I'm not a current university student (266)
47.5%

Watched Threads