The Student Room Group

OU and Student Loan

Potentially a REALLY dumb question, but I’m still waiting for my student loan to be approved and my module pages for the open university open from tomorrow.

If my loan isn’t approved by the time my modules start on the 5th, can I still study with the OU? Or is it entirely dependent on my loan being approved? 🤔
when did you apply for the loan? did you get your entitlement letter yet?
if you have, chances are it's been approved and its status just hasn't been updated on your student portal. I had the same problem. I contacted the OU and they sorted it out.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Spudx
Potentially a REALLY dumb question, but I’m still waiting for my student loan to be approved and my module pages for the open university open from tomorrow.

If my loan isn’t approved by the time my modules start on the 5th, can I still study with the OU? Or is it entirely dependent on my loan being approved? 🤔

I'd suggest contacting the OU to discuss the situation and your options. As I recall payment needs to be in place by about a month after the module starts at maximum, or else you need to arrange alternate payment. That said, if you do pay by other means, and your student loan is then approved, they will reimburse any payment you have made.
Reply 3
Original post by LadyMcCartney4
when did you apply for the loan? did you get your entitlement letter yet?
if you have, chances are it's been approved and its status just hasn't been updated on your student portal. I had the same problem. I contacted the OU and they sorted it out.

I applied at the end of July/beginning of August and sent my last bit of evidence about 3 weeks ago, but I haven’t received any entitlement letters or anything like that 🤷🏻*♀️
I’m gonna ring them tomorrow and ask though 👍
Original post by Spudx
I applied at the end of July/beginning of August and sent my last bit of evidence about 3 weeks ago, but I haven’t received any entitlement letters or anything like that 🤷🏻*♀️
I’m gonna ring them tomorrow and ask though 👍

ask them. sfe and the ou don't communicate with each other I find, you have to chase it up.
Reply 5
I think it varies from person to person on how long they take. Some are sorted within days while others it can take months, mine was about 5 weeks and was really straight forward!
I think you can continue on with the course for the time being while it’s being sorted but I would phone the OU so they are aware of what’s happening. There is possibly a limit of about a month after it starts.
I’d call them and chase them up, as well as notify the OU on what’s going on. Many have the same situation where SFE takes ages.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending