NadirahRahman
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I’m a student soon to be applying for uni, I want To get into primary teaching but I don’t know if becoming a primary school teacher is a good option, I love teaching kids but will I be able to get a job easily? It’s something I love but i also want to earn a living so is teaching something you get good pay in? I live in London, so soon I will move in to a new house but will I be able to afford rent?
Last edited by NadirahRahman; 1 week ago
Elorajaneamos
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I live in Wales so I'm not sure about London for house prices/rent but you'd probably be spending a huge chunk of your salary on it (depending on area?). You can't get into teaching for the money. Simply because of the workload. I've heard that some teachers wake at 4am to mark, go into school at 7:30 and then don't leave until 6pm sometimes later. Most new teachers are quitting within 5 years of qualifying and I believe in England there is a teacher shortage. So in terms of getting on a course, especially primary, it should be easy to get school experience with the amount of schools in London. Are you sold on Primary or would you consider secondary? There are bursaries of up to £25k available for those wishing to teach certain subjects. I'll link you the page: https://getintoteaching.education.go...acher-training there are different routes into teaching, for example school direct, pgce at uni, qts and teach first. In terms of making a living, there is always supply work and private tutoring. You also receive a higher pay for living in London. Here is the page with teacher salaries : https://getintoteaching.education.go...acher-salaries
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by NadirahRahman)
I’m a student soon to be applying for uni, I want To get into primary teaching but I don’t know if becoming a primary school teacher is a good option, I love teaching kids but will I be able to get a job easily? It’s something I love but i also want to earn a living so is teaching something you get good pay in? I live in London, so soon I will move in to a new house but will I be able to afford rent?
At the moment, I don't believe it's too difficult to get a job as a primary teacher- it does vary geographically, though!

https://www.nasuwt.org.uk/advice/pay...ay-scales.html Pay scales are available here- you get a boost for being in London or the outskirts. You progress through M1-M6 fairly automatically, but to get to UPS or to get a TLR, you need to take on extra responsibilities (exactly what this means will vary from school to school).

If you can afford rent as a student, then you'll be fine as a teacher!

If you're not 100% sure about being a teacher, then why not do a degree in a national curriculum subject, then a PGCE? This will give you more options.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (188)
23.98%
Pop (191)
24.36%
Jazz (30)
3.83%
Classical (46)
5.87%
Hip-Hop (148)
18.88%