Going into my last year and unsure what to do after uni. Watch

Chris_P_Bacon1
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
So I am about to start my third year at University. I'm doing a maths and economics undergrad. Which I somewhat enjoy. I've been thinking about taking a year out after I finish my course to work, gain experience and travel the world for a year. As I'm unsure what exactly I want to do. How would this year out effect my job prospects after this, if at all?
Stefanidi
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Chris_P_Bacon1)
So I am about to start my third year at University. I'm doing a maths and economics undergrad. Which I somewhat enjoy. I've been thinking about taking a year out after I finish my course to work, gain experience and travel the world for a year. As I'm unsure what exactly I want to do. How would this year out effect my job prospects after this, if at all?
Apply to grad schemes and work. If you take a gap year, will you do anything that will boost your CV?
Chris_P_Bacon1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by Stefanidi)
Apply to grad schemes and work. If you take a gap year, will you do anything that will boost your CV?
Yeah, I was planning on doing some volunteer work. And look to gain work experience in areas such as law. To gain a clearer understanding of the career path I want to take. My problem is I'm worried that I won't find a career I'm suited for. And that this uncertainty alongside the way some employeers may look at a year out, worries me.
ajj2000
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Yeah, I was planning on doing some volunteer work. And look to gain work experience in areas such as law. To gain a clearer understanding of the career path I want to take. My problem is I'm worried that I won't find a career I'm suited for. And that this uncertainty alongside the way some employeers may look at a year out, worries me.
What sectors of work are you considering. I don't think most employers in most sectors are particularly negative about graduates having a year travelling etc - but this will vary depending on the type of jobs you are considering. Why law?
iElvendork
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Go to a careers fair and look what's available?
Search on employment websites for people who take maths/economics graduates and if you are interested in any of the roles, you don't have to apply for them but it will help to narrow down some jobs
Do you want to work in a high pressure environment and wear suits everyday? Or would you prefer a more relaxed environment that requires smart casual clothing? Do you want to be a really high earner or would a median salary be good for you? Would you be willing to move to London for a job? Do you want a job with travel? Would you like to be meeting people and making connections? Do you like giving presentations, or would you prefer to only do a presentation occasionally?
Lots of questions you can ask yourself to determine the type of area you'd like to work in

Good thing about a maths/economics degree is a lot of routes are open to you (obviously not everything, but more than you probably think)
Chris_P_Bacon1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
(Original post by ajj2000)
What sectors of work are you considering. I don't think most employers in most sectors are particularly negative about graduates having a year travelling etc - but this will vary depending on the type of jobs you are considering. Why law?
Thanks for the advice, Law is something that I'm currently gaining abit of experience in. And it meets some of my criteria for a career path I think I want to follow.
ajj2000
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Thanks for the advice, Law is something that I'm currently gaining abit of experience in. And it meets some of my criteria for a career path I think I want to follow.
Cool - you may want to post on the law careers forum to see what people suggest. Perhaps look for a clerical type job in a law firm to get some experience and see if its a career which would suit you?
Chris_P_Bacon1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
(Original post by iElvendork)
Go to a careers fair and look what's available?
Search on employment websites for people who take maths/economics graduates and if you are interested in any of the roles, you don't have to apply for them but it will help to narrow down some jobs
Do you want to work in a high pressure environment and wear suits everyday? Or would you prefer a more relaxed environment that requires smart casual clothing? Do you want to be a really high earner or would a median salary be good for you? Would you be willing to move to London for a job? Do you want a job with travel? Would you like to be meeting people and making connections? Do you like giving presentations, or would you prefer to only do a presentation occasionally?
Lots of questions you can ask yourself to determine the type of area you'd like to work in

Good thing about a maths/economics degree is a lot of routes are open to you (obviously not everything, but more than you probably think)
Thanks, I feel like this is what I need to set out. To truly grasp my options. And to narrow them down a bit. I would argue that a result of having a lot of possibilities to choose from causes me to second guess the path as the "right" one. On top of this I dont feel like I'm especially passionate about any of my career options. Any ideas on how I could gain more confidence in this respect?
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
It will make your job prospects much worse, unless you have a clear, well-planned course of action. There will never, ever in your life again, be a better supported time to decide on a career path. Not to spend as much time as one can camped out in one's University Careers Service in the first term of one's final year is rank stupidity. Employers will be visiting and available to talk to, the service will be packed with information, advice, training,contact lists, application forms, computers, printers etc. That support will never, ever be available again.

You need to focus on making a decision about what you are going to do with the next few years of your life now, when you come back from a gap year, you will have nothing supporting you expect perhaps the same careers service at the end of an email, and then your own devices.

You aren;t making a lifelong commitment, you are making at worst a 3-5 year commitment to a certain direction - there are still directions that give plenty of further options after that.

But if you are indecisive, not taking the opportunity to use the Uni resources to make a decision could be disastrous.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (188)
23.98%
Pop (191)
24.36%
Jazz (30)