Is there any help available for students with anxiety? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I have terrible anxiety when presenting work to others which makes it difficult. Is there any support available where I could do a course but be exempt from any activities that include speaking to an audience. I've been told there is this kind of support available
Anonymous #2
Report 2 months ago
I’d also like to add myself into this as I have anxiety (it’s becoming extremely common lately)

I can’t go to even an FE college so have had to home educate myself.

In both college and uni they say there’s help available yet when I was in school; the help was all lies.

They merely ticked boxes for the council, no help was given. They’d force drama and presentations upon me knowing I’d be a mess. Ruined a whole Christmas knowing I had to do an English presentation for the exam. I quit school over it in the end.

If there’s real help I’d like to know and where to get it because all I’ve had is huge let downs
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I’d also like to add myself into this as I have anxiety (it’s becoming extremely common lately)

I can’t go to even an FE college so have had to home educate myself.

In both college and uni they say there’s help available yet when I was in school; the help was all lies.

They merely ticked boxes for the council, no help was given. They’d force drama and presentations upon me knowing I’d be a mess. Ruined a whole Christmas knowing I had to do an English presentation for the exam. I quit school over it in the end.

If there’s real help I’d like to know and where to get it because all I’ve had is huge let downs
I understand. All throughout my education they've known I needed help but they just forced me to talk and do presentations. When I was at uni, the past few years they did the same and my attendance became really low, I avoided group tutorials and presentations unless they were graded and any situations where I had to talk in front of people then I'd get emails from the uni tutors saying they were concerned with my progress and that attendance is important and if anything was wrong that I needed support with then I should get in touch. That was stupid cos they knew exactly what was wrong but they didn't really care. I'd like to do an MA, I've enrolled and everything but got in touch with the director of the course who told me more about the course. The course sounds good except there will be regular presentations and one module where I'd have to present in a seminar in front of everyone on the course. I'd never be able to do that, who knows how many people that will be. I told the course director about this and they said that sharing your work with others and presenting in front of people is an important part of the course but said there is help available, there have been people with similar issues but the only help is counselling or getting a support summary which I don't want to do because I don't want to talk to someone, talking isn't going to help. The only way to get out of a support summary is to get a doctor's note to be excluded from such activities but I've never been to the doctor for this issue and I doubt they'd give me a note. They're just going to put me on antidepressants or beta blockers which won't help the problem it just hides it. It's just going to be the same if I do this course, they're going to force me to do presentations and since it's a design course it's even worse, you're required to share work within group tutorials for feedback and help to move forward which I was forced to do the past few years even though they knew I was struggling to talk. I'm just going to have to withdraw but I don't know what I will do then. I could apply for jobs, I have done work experience before which was ok, I only had to speak to one person at a time. Although there were others in the room, I was comfortable because they were doing their own work not staring at me unlike presentations at school/uni where everyone is staring and tutors are taking the mick more than any of the students ever did. There is no help for people like us, a doctor will just put us on pills for life which doesn't get rid of the problem because it will be there without the pills so it's pointless seeing a doctor. The worse thing they'll do is admit you to a mental unit/hospital when there's nothing wrong with our mental health. It's just anxiety and our introverted personality that contributes to it. There is nothing medically wrong with us, it's other people who have the problem and don't understand us.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 24 Nov '19

what's your favourite season?

Summer (63)
32.14%
Spring (36)
18.37%
Autumn/Fall (49)
25%