The Student Room Group

Studying A levels at home

So I’m studying my 3 A levels at home, and each A level is about 500 house of study plus more hours for assignments for each topic. I’m starting year 12 now in September, and will need to sit the A level exams in May 2021 (it’s a 2 year course). Can anyone who is good at maths help me calculate how many hours I should study per day? I’ll probably take away 2 months away from the year where I’m not studying, and would study about 5-6 days a week. Please help! Also does anyone know of any good online study planners so I can make a timetable. Thanksss :smile:
Original post by KayoKeke
So I’m studying my 3 A levels at home, and each A level is about 500 house of study plus more hours for assignments for each topic. I’m starting year 12 now in September, and will need to sit the A level exams in May 2021 (it’s a 2 year course). Can anyone who is good at maths help me calculate how many hours I should study per day? I’ll probably take away 2 months away from the year where I’m not studying, and would study about 5-6 days a week. Please help! Also does anyone know of any good online study planners so I can make a timetable. Thanksss :smile:

I am currently home studying Math IAL Edexcel.

I have 6 books and 4 exam papers.

Books:
C1
C2
C3
C4
M1
S1

Exams:
C12
C34
M1
S1

I study on average about 4 hours a day in total. (Note that I am good at math so it will almost certainly require longer for you) (Note that I study 7 days a week except for some weeks when I go out on weekends)
I have been studying for approximately 3 months and I am currently in the first round of reviewing the books (after the initial study) and solving the questions in the books. (new world record)

For timetables, you should make your own.

I usually use the A-Chapter-A-Day™ method, where I assign a chapter for each day (on average) so that one day can take 2 or 3 easier chapters (those which are considered a review of GCSE or in my case IGCSE) or one day take a third of a longer/more difficult chapter.

Hope that helps!
Reply 2
Thank you very much, I think I know how many hours to do a day now. This is my first time studying at home, and I've signed up with Oxford Home Schooling to do A level Biology, English Literature and Psychology. I'm quite worried about adjusting to studying at home though (I've been at a state school all my life) and I'm not sure how hard it will be doing it alone. I've made a timetable to keep me organised, but do you have any advice at all for me as its my first time studying from home? May I also ask what home schooling place are you doing maths with? Are the resources good?
Hi unrelated but when you do your assignments/coursework where do you send them off to/get them marked and how would you get predicted grades for uni ( I too am wanting to self study) thank you
Reply 4
So I just researched some places that offer home schooling and signed up for the courses I want to take. I chose the subjects I'm good at as self studying seems hard so I should play to my strengths you know? Home schooling is expensive though, and some courses cost more than others. I receive the course material and when I'm ready, I book the exam with the relevant exam board, e.g. if it was AQA, you book the exam with them and sit it at a local exam centre. You have to book the exams as a private candidate which means you would pay for every exam. I suggest you look for a place that offers homeschooling and ask if they can assist with booking the exams and finding you an exam centre. Usually, you get a personal tutor for each course, but its for only phoning or emailing when you are stuck (they just help you a little and answer questions, not teach the actual content). There are some places, but few, that have teachers actually come online and teach you every topic, but again it's expensive. Give it some thought. Would you like a list of places that do home schooling so you can start looking into it? I don't know about predicted grades though, I've only just started. I get assignment every few lessons and need to study about six hours a day 5 days a week for my 3 A levels. What subjects are you looking to take?
(edited 4 years ago)
So I just researched some places that offer home schooling and signed up for the courses I want to take. I chose the subjects I'm good at as self studying seems hard so I should play to my strengths you know? Home schooling is expensive though, and some courses cost more than others. I receive the course material and when I'm ready, I book the exam with the relevant exam board, e.g. if it was AQA, you book the exam with them and sit it at a local exam centre. You have to book the exams as a private candidate which means you would pay for every exam. I suggest you look for a place that offers homeschooling and ask if they can assist with booking the exams and finding you an exam centre. Usually, you get a personal tutor for each course, but its for only phoning or emailing when you are stuck (they just help you a little and answer questions, not teach the actual content). There are some places, but few, that have teachers actually come online and teach you every topic, but again it's expensive. Give it some thought. Would you like a list of places that do home schooling so you can start looking into it?

Yes please!! Do these online places give you predicted grades and a reference as well? Can you do practicals with them too? A bit of a dumb question but I haven’t been in education for a few years so i’m a bit stuck, you know when you fill out your exam paper on the front and have to put in your candidate number etc do they give me one? you know when it has your picture on with it and the other information you need to fill in your exam paper on the front?
Thank you again!
Reply 6
As I said, I don't knpow about predicted grades just yet. As for the candidate number and unique learner number, I got mine from my high school. They should be printed on your GCSE certificate. If you don't have one, maybe contact the education authorities through your concil/government? The place I'm using for home schooling is giving me a reference, but just contact the online schools with your questions and they will provide all relevant information. If you are doing a science A level, you may need a Practical Endorsement Qualification depeding on what uni you want to go to. The exam centres can tell you where to go to do practicals but its very expensive. Conact these online schools and ask them, they will tell you. Check out the schools reviews though (on trustpilot).

Online Schools:
Oxford Home Learning (GCSE and A level)
Oxford Open Learning (for over 18s)
Cambridge Home Schooling
Cloudlearn
Oxbridge Home Learning
Wolsey Hall Oxford
My Online Schooling
ICS Learn
Inter High
National Extension College
Open Study College

These are the ones I know off the top of my head. I'll let you know if I can think of any more. :smile: Good Luck
(edited 4 years ago)
As I said, I don't knpow about predicted grades just yet. As for the candidate number and unique learner number, I got mine from my high school. They should be printed on your GCSE certificate. If you don't have one, maybe contact the education authorities through your concil/government? The place I'm using for home schooling is giving me a reference, but just contact the online schools with your questions and they will provide all relevant information. If you are doing a science A level, you may need a Practical Endorsement Qualification depeding on what uni you want to go to. The exam centres can tell you where to go to do practicals but its very expensive. Conact these online schools and ask them, they will tell you. Check out the schools reviews though (on trustpilot).

Online Schools:
Oxford Home Learning (GCSE and A level)
Oxford Open Learning (for over 18s)
Cambridge Home Schooling
Cloudlearn
Oxbridge Home Learning
Wolsey Hall Oxford
My Online Schooling
ICS Learn
Inter High
National Extension College
Open Study College

These are the ones I know off the top of my head. I'll let you know if I can think of any more. :smile: Good Luck

Thank you this was very helpful! Which one are you studying with and is it good/helpful/worth the price it is? What subjects are you teaching yourself?
Thank you very much, I think I know how many hours to do a day now. This is my first time studying at home, and I've signed up with Oxford Home Schooling to do A level Biology, English Literature and Psychology. I'm quite worried about adjusting to studying at home though (I've been at a state school all my life) and I'm not sure how hard it will be doing it alone. I've made a timetable to keep me organised, but do you have any advice at all for me as its my first time studying from home? May I also ask what home schooling place are you doing maths with? Are the resources good?

No home schooling place. Just me, the book, the past papers, the mark schemes and the final exam!
Reply 9
Original post by Pany5689
Thank you this was very helpful! Which one are you studying with and is it good/helpful/worth the price it is? What subjects are you teaching yourself?

I'm doing Biology, Psychology and English Literature with Oxford Home Schooling. I'm not quite sure how it is as I am still waiting to receive my course packs. I've seen some sample lessons though, and they seem good and have lots of info and questions. The have a sample lesson for every course on their website, as well as the prices. Why don't you have a look? Most online schools have a 10% discount if you pay for 3 A levels as a bundle.
(edited 4 years ago)
I teach those who study at home. I make them understand where necessary

I’m looking to do psychology with them! Can you let me know what you think and how do you contact tutors? Also do you get predicted grades? Thanks

Hi! I’m looking to do Psychology with them. Would you recommend them? How are the tutors, how do you contact them and can they give predicted grades? Thanks so much

I’m also thinking of doing psychology with Ool, can you let me know your experience with it? Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending