Best Way to Encourage Referee to Write Reference? Watch

Patagonia
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi! So I applied to do a master's a week ago, but the university won't start to consider my application until the referee submits their reference. After 7 days (yesterday), I sent them a reminder, but they haven't done it yet.

How long is appropriate to wait before I email them, and what could I say to not seem annoying? I sent them all the details like my CV, transcript, personal statement, instructions, etc about 4 weeks ago so that they'd be able to write it and upload as soon as I applied. That's what my other referee did.

Any advice?
marinade
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
If it is to start in September 2020 I wouldn't even worry about it. Unless there's some big massive looming funding deadline coming up.

If it is to start in Sep/Oct 2019 then I would send another e-mail late Monday afternoon.
Patagonia
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by marinade)
If it is to start in September 2020 I wouldn't even worry about it. Unless there's some big massive looming funding deadline coming up.

If it is to start in Sep/Oct 2019 then I would send another e-mail late Monday afternoon.
It's for 2020 entry, I'm just impatient because the sooner I hear back from this choice, the sooner I'll know whether to apply to other choices. Avoiding that at the moment because I'm not keen to keep paying application fees.
marinade
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Patagonia)
It's for 2020 entry, I'm just impatient because the sooner I hear back from this choice, the sooner I'll know whether to apply to other choices. Avoiding that at the moment because I'm not keen to keep paying application fees.
I would assume if one is an academic reference it's a bit slow this time of year as your other reference is on holiday or sorting out a mountain of bureaucratic stuff or conferences. That's what it's like at my uni. It's annoying but I'm not sure there's that much you can do, mine went through in the end of PhD.
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Patagonia)
If I've followed your application options carefully enough around the threads, your chances of hearing back from this application quickly are very slim. Unless you are outstanding, or hopeless, you are unlikely to hear back until Feb or March.

However, the best way to encourage a referee to write a reference is flattery! Something like - a reference from you, I feel sure would strengthen my application or I'm sure a reference from you would add value to my application
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate