InitialEdits
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I want to study astrophysics with physics at Northumbria, but I’m doing BTEC applied science and I got a pass in maths and a distinction in physics, they ask for a b equivalent in both maths and physics, i have it in physics, but maths had 2 involved, maths and statistics I got a distinction in statistics, but a pass in maths so it was an overall pass, and I was wondering if I do an EPQ in astrophysics and got top marks would that be sufficient enough to help get onto the course.
Last edited by InitialEdits; 1 week ago
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by InitialEdits)
I want to study astrophysics with physics at Northumbria, but I’m doing BTEC applied science and I got a pass in maths and a distinction in physics, they ask for a b equivalent in both maths and physics, i have it in physics, but maths had 2 involved, maths and statistics I got a distinction in statistics, but a pass in maths so it was an overall pass, and I was wondering if I do an EPQ in astrophysics and got top marks would that be sufficient enough to help get onto the course.
The only people who can say are Northumbria.
You could also offer them the option of AS or A level Maths in a year or see if they do a foundation course.
InitialEdits
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
The only people who can say are Northumbria.
You could also offer them the option of AS or A level Maths in a year or see if they do a foundation course.
thats what i'm thinking of doing, but the course doesn't say foundation, it only states year 1
999tigger
Report 1 week ago
thats what i'm thinking of doing, but the course doesn't say foundation, it only states year 1
Some unis offer them and others do not. I wouldnt rule out access.
InitialEdits
Rep:
?
Some unis offer them and others do not. I wouldnt rule out access.
do you know of any unis that offer a foundation?
Anonymous #1
Report 1 week ago
What do you mean pass in maths? Is it part of BTEC applied science? If I knew this, maybe I would have applied for BTEC applied science rather than a levels so then I wouldn’t have got ill. There were no issues with A levels at first but only when I got sick and was unable to manage my illness. Science is not my strong point though.
999tigger
Report 1 week ago
do you know of any unis that offer a foundation?
https://digital.ucas.com/search

Considering its Astro and that is niche then I consider it unlikely. You can look though.

The issue is more whether you get to do Astro at all rather than taking a year off.
InitialEdits
Rep:
?
https://digital.ucas.com/search

Considering its Astro and that is niche then I consider it unlikely. You can look though.

The issue is more whether you get to do Astro at all rather than taking a year off.
do you think they will take both my maths grades into account, instead of just the overall?
999tigger
Report 1 week ago
do you think they will take both my maths grades into account, instead of just the overall?
Tbf I think they would be more interested in core maths. Most Astro courses want A or A* Maths as I recall but you can look them up.
Talk to them. I cant say what they are thinking.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Northumbria University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19
  • Northumbria University
    Sat, 26 Oct '19
  • Northumbria University
    Sat, 23 Nov '19

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (201)
24.13%
Pop (207)
24.85%
Jazz (33)
3.96%
Classical (46)
5.52%
Hip-Hop (157)
18.85%
Electronic (57)
6.84%
Indie (132)
15.85%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise