Make-up wearers: do you find it difficult to go outside without make-up on? Watch

StrawberryDreams
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
As someone who has been wearing make up for 12 solid years, the idea of not wearing make-up outside is a pretty difficult thought for me. There are loads of reasons why, but I especially think that I look knackered and ill without make up, and I don't always like the way my fair eyelashes look. I find that I even wear a bit to the gym, which can't be good for my skin, but I can't help it!

Anyone else struggle with not wearing make-up outside if you're used to wearing it every day? If so, why do you think it's hard not to wear make up outside for you?

Also, any tips for braving a make-up free face every once in a while? I did manage to go to the gym once make up free which was a big deal for me, but the thought of going out and doing daily life without it is hard!
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
At times I do, when I have a bad skin day (which is becoming every day). I never get compliments about looking nice unless I am wearing makeup, so obviously when I'm not wearing it I don't look good, hence why I tend to wear it almost every time I go outside. It doesn't have to be a full face, typically just concealer to cover my spots and some mascara.
Miaaa_wolf
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I mean personally - I don't wear makeup every single day like to the shops e.t.c but somedays for school, I tend to go for a more lighter, natural look to cover the redness on my nose.

I don't really need it.. having a little redness around your nose isn't a big deal - and actually I'm pretty convinced that the coverup makes my skin worse (by covering it from the sun and being greasy). I do look better, and fresher I think after a few days of not wearing it.

Sure I will wear makeup for a night out, or sometimes just when I feel like it. I quite enjoy makeup and putting it on anyway. But I must say I am pleased I'm getting the confidence to not bother with it only a daily basis (when it is totally unnecessary). And actually my skin is improving for it.
sinfonietta
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Age 14-24 = yes, I found it difficult.
24 onwards = no.

What helped me become more comfortable with my bare face was changing my focus. Instead of using cosmetics to mask imperfections I took steps to improve my skin. Some of those were lifestyle changes such as getting more sleep, drinking more water, and eating less junk food. I also invested in products that target problem areas and rotate them as needed. The result is soft, moisturised, glowing, even-coloured, mostly blemish-free skin. Because of this I don't even own concealer anymore and barely wear foundation. When my skin feels this good I don't feel any need to wear make-up. It's a big change from what it used to be: dry, dark circles, spots, redness, etc!

My love of winged eyeliner and bold lipstick means I often do wear make-up for style reasons (think crazy colour hair, tattoos, piercings, all-black outfits) but I don't need it to feel comfortable. It doesn't impact my confidence and I don't feel self-conscious/naked when I leave the house without it.
Last edited by sinfonietta; 1 week ago
Wooord
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
During like year 10 I did, now I really don’t care (I’m starting Uni next week)
Last edited by Wooord; 1 week ago
Dunya
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I throw on some kajal and do my brows on a normal day. Less than that would be risky
username3890778
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
i find it difficult to go out WITH makeup on. Oh how times have changed...
username4889668
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I don't think I regularly go out without make-up. There's not much point to me - it takes a few seconds to put on mascara, brush my brows up and conceal any spots that come up.

I can, if I go to the doctors or something I'll go without, but I don't see anything wrong with it if ygm.

Tbf last year I'd die before going out w/o make-up. I think make-up wearers generally go through a phase of NEEDING make-up, to wearing it cause they genuinely enjoy putting it on.
Snfkin
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Yes. I have been wearing makeup for five years and I honestly wish that I'd never started, it's one of those things that gets more and more difficult to stop doing the more you do it. I think the main reason it is so hard for me is because I've gotten used to the idea that people only know my face with makeup. I have close friends who I've known for years, who have only ever seen me while I'm wearing makeup and the idea of parading up to them one day with a completely bare face is daunting. There's also the fact that I don't have... conventionally attractive features, I would say...? An above user mentioned changing lifestyle habits to improve appearance, like drinking more water and eating healthily, but no amount of either can change my actual facial structure and I've always been very self conscious about that.

To be honest though, these days I've sort of been weaning myself off of makeup. When I first started, it was the whole package, wherever I went; foundation, concealer, powder, highlighter, contour, eyeshadow, eye-liner, mascara, brows, lipstick. Now, several years on I've managed to reduce it to concealer, powder, tiny bit of eyeshadow and brow tint, and lip balm. And working my way to even less lol.
byeongkwans
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Sometimes, I used to struggle, especially when my acne was really bad. Makeup just makes me feel more confident. I never used to wear a lot, but I wear even less now since I’m happier in myself
HumbleBee_x
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
No way, I acc feel comfortable being facially naked
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Depends where I'm going. If it's just to the shops or whatever then I won't bother but anywhere else I'll put on at least a little bit. I can get quite self conscious about my bad skin, I still get spots at 26, so foundation and concealer are a staple for me if I'm going to uni, work, out for the day etc. Other than that it's just mascara and sometimes eyeshadow. I only use highlighter or eyeliner on a night out really and have never bothered with contouring.
Last edited by bones-mccoy; 6 days ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (2)
14.29%
Disagree (0)
0%
Neither agree or disagree (3)
21.43%
Agree (5)
35.71%
Strongly Agree (4)
28.57%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise