Motorway driving ! Watch

paulinemay91
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi! So i recently passed my test and have been driving confidently around my area and towns/cities nearby. I’m going to be driving along the M27 and M11 tomorrow for the first time, and i’ll be alone... I’ve done some motorway practise and it was fine, but is there any tips i can take with me? I’m fine with speed and am good at checking mirrors, but would i be better off staying in the left lane? and how do i know for CERTAIN it’s safe for me to move into the middle lane to overtake? Many thanks for your help!
kurro
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Make sure you have enough speed and check mirrors when joining the motorway.

Whenever you want to switch lanes just check the center mirror and either left or right mirror and make sure you have enough space. It's that simple, just try to keep calm. I would suggest you don't switch lanes too many times as it is your first time alone.
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
if you are not sure, then stay in the left hand lane. the other lanes are for overtaking ?
xDron3
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Motorway driving is much easier than city driving.

Keep in the left lane unless overtaking, quick blind spot check and mirror check, internal and external to make sure someones not behind you when changing lanes.

Keep speed, don't do 45mph on a motorway as it's dangerous. Keep with the flow of the traffic.
paulinemay91
Rep:
?
(Original post by kurro)
Make sure you have enough speed and check mirrors when joining the motorway.

Whenever you want to switch lanes just check the center mirror and either left or right mirror and make sure you have enough space. It's that simple, just try to keep calm. I would suggest you don't switch lanes too many times as it is your first time alone.
Thank you! i definitely won’t be in and out of the lanes, unless i need to move into a certain lane because i know the m11 does become lane specific
paulinemay91
Rep:
?
(Original post by xDron3)
Motorway driving is much easier than city driving.

Keep in the left lane unless overtaking, quick blind spot check and mirror check, internal and external to make sure someones not behind you when changing lanes.

Keep speed, don't do 45mph on a motorway as it's dangerous. Keep with the flow of the traffic.
Would you say 60/65 mph is advisable? I think there’s a lot of variable speed limits as well so i don’t think i’ll be staying one speed as much as i thought
xDron3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by paulinemay91)
Would you say 60/65 mph is advisable? I think there’s a lot of variable speed limits as well so i don’t think i’ll be staying one speed as much as i thought
Between 60-70 is fine as long as you're in the left lane or overtaking. Variable speed limits come into play only when there's congestion or a warning of something so in that case just follow the flow of traffic without speeding.
paulinemay91
Rep:
?
Between 60-70 is fine as long as you're in the left lane or overtaking. Variable speed limits come into play only when there's congestion or a warning of something so in that case just follow the flow of traffic without speeding.
Ok, thank you so much for your help
Phoenixfeather99
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
60mph is an ok speed as that’s the speed the lorry’s tend to stick at. Just make sure that when your changing lanes that no one else is. E.g. if your in the inside lane and want to go in the middle, that no one in the outside is going to the middle as well. And, use your indicators!!!
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi! So i recently passed my test and have been driving confidently around my area and towns/cities nearby. I’m going to be driving along the M27 and M11 tomorrow for the first time, and i’ll be alone... I’ve done some motorway practise and it was fine, but is there any tips i can take with me? I’m fine with speed and am good at checking mirrors, but would i be better off staying in the left lane? and how do i know for CERTAIN it’s safe for me to move into the middle lane to overtake? Many thanks for your help!
On a busy motorway you will find lorries in the left lane so you may end up mostly in the middle lane - as long as you are overtaking then this is fine. At least 65 mph is best as lorries are going at 60 mph and you want to get out of their way. Be aware of foreign lorries with left hand drive and use all your mirrors and watch your blind spot.
desou
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

God no, get tf out of the left lane before you cause a lorry to swerve and cause a multi-fatality pile-up. Get up to speed asap and spend no more than a few seconds in the lorry lane.

Look to your right, is there a car there. Look in your mirror, is there a car piling up your outside at 110? No? Its safe.
desou
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

Cars should not be in the lorry lane, especially not going so bloody slowly. Are you trying to get someone killed?
xDron3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by desou)
Cars should not be in the lorry lane, especially not going so bloody slowly. Are you trying to get someone killed?
That's not the lorry lane you spaz, it's the lane you're LEGALLY required to be in if you're not overtaking.

Let me guess you're always in the "Fast lane" despite there being no congestion.
desou
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
That's not the lorry lane you spaz, it's the lane you're LEGALLY required to be in if you're not overtaking.

Let me guess you're always in the "Fast lane" despite there being no congestion.

Technically that's incorrect. By the letter of the law, unless you're actively obstructing someone else's progress, legally you can drive in whatever lane you like: eg on an empty motorway at night, its actually advised to drive in the middle lane to avoid puddles/debris/people pulling out of slip roads/etc.

Cars dicking around in the left hand lane and forcing lorries to swerve or brake are incredibly dangerous - both for themselves and everyone else. Its probably the most dangerous thing you can do. If you're not sufficiently competent to get up to speed and move over into the middle lane, you shouldn't be on the motorway, full stop.
julietlima3
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'm curious in what scenario you would cause a lorry to swerve if you were driving normally in the left lane
xDron3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by desou)
Technically that's incorrect. By the letter of the law, unless you're actively obstructing someone else's progress, legally you can drive in whatever lane you like: eg on an empty motorway at night, its actually advised to drive in the middle lane to avoid puddles/debris/people pulling out of slip roads/etc.

Cars dicking around in the left hand lane and forcing lorries to swerve or brake are incredibly dangerous - both for themselves and everyone else. Its probably the most dangerous thing you can do. If you're not sufficiently competent to get up to speed and move over into the middle lane, you shouldn't be on the motorway, full stop.
No, technically I'm correct. Do you even have a licence. You must be trying to troll me here, if so it's a bad attempt.

Quoted from the highway code:

“You should always drive in the left-hand lane when the road ahead is clear. If you are overtaking a number of slow-moving vehicles, you should return to the left-hand lane as soon as you are safely past.”
Last edited by xDron3; 1 week ago
xDron3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by julietlima3)
I'm curious in what scenario you would cause a lorry to swerve if you were driving normally in the left lane
None, if the lorry had to swerve it would be at fault of the lorry driver unless you brake checked him.
siamsam
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by desou)
God no, get tf out of the left lane before you cause a lorry to swerve and cause a multi-fatality pile-up. Get up to speed asap (80mph on your speedo will be around 70mph in reality and that is the minimum safe speed on a non-congested motorway) and spend no more than a few seconds in the lorry lane.

Look to your right, is there a car there. Look in your mirror, is there a car piling up your outside at 110? No? Its safe.
Please DON'T listen to any of the advise given by this clown.

Telling a new driver to speed up to 80mph on their speedometer is a ridiculous suggestion and stating that that is the minimum safe speed is just so wrong. There is no such thing as a lorry lane, you should remain in the left hand lane unless you want to overtake a vehicle that's currently moving slower than you in the left lane.
Do not stay in the second lane unless you're overtaking a long line of slower moving vehicles in the left hand lane - If you do stay in the second lane even when the left hand lane is clear you're at risk of a fine and 3 points on your licence
desou
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
No, technically I'm correct. Do you even have a licence. You must be trying to troll me here, if so it's a bad attempt.

Quoted from the highway code:

“You should always drive in the left-hand lane when the road ahead is clear. If you are overtaking a number of slow-moving vehicles, you should return to the left-hand lane as soon as you are safely past.”
The highway code isn't the law you complete imbecile.

I've been driving for 20 years. I've driven over 200,000 miles on motorways without so much as a near miss. How about you?

Please don't respond unless you're going to apologise.
desou
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by siamsam)
Please DON'T listen to any of the advise given by this clown.

Telling a new driver to speed up to 80mph on their speedometer is a ridiculous suggestion and stating that that is the minimum safe speed is just so wrong. There is no such thing as a lorry lane, you should remain in the left hand lane unless you want to overtake a vehicle that's currently moving slower than you in the left lane.
Do not stay in the second lane unless you're overtaking a long line of slower moving vehicles in the left hand lane - If you do stay in the second lane even when the left hand lane is clear you're at risk of a fine and 3 points on your licence

Terrible advice, you're actually going to get them killed.

"If you do stay in the second lane even when the left hand lane is clear you're at risk of a fine and 3 points on your licence"

No, you're not.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (206)
23.54%
Pop (216)
24.69%