Predicted grades are lower than entry requirements (Need advice and feedback asap) Watch

_seannlee_
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi. My name is Sean and I am from Malaysia. I have an urgent question that i sincerely hope can be answered by yall. So basically I am 9 months into my A-levels and i have the combination of Double Maths, Physics and Econs. I have always been a great student (not being arrogant), i scored 9A* for my igcses, i do believe my personal statement would be great as well as my teacher reference and i maintain good relationships with my teachers. My selection of degree and university choices are:
1. Maths and Stats @ Oxford (A* for Maths and Further Maths, A for 3rd)
2. Maths, Stats and Business @ LSE (A* for Maths and AA) *but they do say Further Maths is highly desirable
3. Maths and Stats @ Warwick (A* for Maths, A Further Maths and A for 3rd)
4. Maths and Financial Maths @ Manchester (A* for Maths and AA)
5. My fifth choice is really torn between Maths and Stats for Finance @ either Imperial or Bristol.
-Imperial (A* Maths and Further Maths, A 3rd)
-Bristol (A* Maths, A Further Maths and A for 3rd)

But heres the catch and scenario, as I am in the January intake, I am due to sit for my As levels this coming Oct/Nov series and my A2 next year at the May/June 2020 series. And for some reason, the CIE syllabus for Further Maths changed during my college year, which meant that I have to sit all 4 of my Further Maths papers (both As and A2 papers) next year in 2020. So this kind of placed a lot of pressure on me and the college that i went was going nuts, they were cramming in knowledge way faster than i could handle, basically p1,p3,s1,m1,fp1,f.mech, and a bit of f.stats all in the course of just 8 months. On top of that, i had to study my other 3 subjects as well.

Now, i know you might say, why not just drop Further Maths? I cant becoz most of the unis and courses that i chose recommend the students to take it and it is kind of a must-have subject for me. Then, you might say, why not drop etiher Econs and Physics and take 3 subjects instead? I can't either coz in Malaysia, my college or any other college, they only allow you to take Further Maths as a 4th subject, which means, either you take Further Maths as the 4th subject, or you take 3 subjects, but drop Further Maths.

So I just sat for my trials a month ago and I did fairly well in my other 3 subjects, I got 3A* forecast for my Maths, Physics and Economics, but for my Further Maths, I messed up in the trial exam big time and the teacher told me I would either get a C or B for my predicted grade. I'm panicking now coz knowing even with 3A* for my Econs, Maths and Physics, a B (best case scenario) in my Further Maths would screw my whole Uni application up. And all the Unis that I've been aiming for are all top unis with elite competition, Oxford and Imperial with A* requirements for entry and the others I'm guessing probably A. With a B in my forecast and with it being Further Maths, I'm super worried that I've messed up my chances.

So, my question now is, will i still have a good chance of being offered a conditional offer from those unis that ive stated? Like i mean i could apply with 3A* and a B but maybe they would still offer me 2A* and 1 A and give me a chance for my actual A-levels?? or maybe they could like my personal statement or see my previous work ethic thru my previous IGCSE grades? Or maybe they could like my application and still be keen on offering me a spot on a conditional offer?

I know one of the solutions is to apply next year but having Asian parents, they are pressuring me to enter Uni next year and to make my application this year and they're very against me taking a gap year. I've also tried talking to my Further Maths teacher about giving me higher grades but he is not willing to coz of my trials (my only f**k up) and i'm sure he's adamant about it.

I am due to take the MAT exam tho and I'm praying to every God i know hoping that would be my saving grace but is there really a point when i've messed up my Further Maths predicted grade? I know Oxford, Imperial, Warwick and even Lse will take MAT into account but do i really still stand a chance against top elite applicants from around the world?

I will be forever grateful to anyone that replies to this thread and is able to give me guidance and advice on this. THANK YOU SO MUCH <3
Last edited by _seannlee_; 1 week ago
harrysbar
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi Sean

Oxford only say they prefer A level FM which means their A*A*A requirement could be fulfilled by your other 3 subjects, with the B in FM being a bonus. The same with LSE - FM is highly desirable but not essential and you would have it, just not at the highest level. Therefore, I do think you would have a chance of getting an offer.

With Warwick and Manchester I would say you have a chance of getting an offer if your A level in FM is a B not a C.

For your 5th choice, I think Imperial would be a straight rejection as you are not close to an A* in FM, but I think Bristol is definitely worth applying to as they will consider other mathematical subjects apart from FM in their offer, which you do have to offer. I don't know if returnmigrant can comment on this?

They are all highly competitive courses/unis and you might get some rejections but none of them are flat out unrealistic in my opinion, apart from Imperial. All you can do is try - get a UCAS application in and see what happens
_seannlee_
Rep:
?
(Original post by harrysbar)
Hi Sean

Oxford only say they prefer A level FM which means their A*A*A requirement could be fulfilled by your other 3 subjects, with the B in FM being a bonus. The same with LSE - FM is highly desirable but not essential and you would have it, just not at the highest level. Therefore, I do think you would have a chance of getting an offer.

With Warwick and Manchester I would say you have a chance of getting an offer if your A level in FM is a B not a C.

For your 5th choice, I think Imperial would be a straight rejection as you are not close to an A* in FM, but I think Bristol is definitely worth applying to as they will consider other mathematical subjects apart from FM in their offer, which you do have to offer. I don't know if returnmigrant can comment on this?

They are all highly competitive courses/unis and you might get some rejections but none of them are flat out unrealistic in my opinion, apart from Imperial. All you can do is try - get a UCAS application in and see what happens
Hello! Thanks for your reply. That really does give me some guidance on my fifth choice. However, for oxford, on my course website for Maths and Stats, they do say that Maths is essential and Further Maths is recommended on the Overview page. When you look at the entry requirement page, they do then continue to say, A* is expected in Maths and Further Maths if taken. So does this mean that I need an A* for my further maths too?
Link to the page is right here:
http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/under...and-statistics

* And also a rather unrelated question, do you think Bristol is a University worth going for Maths and Stats? Coz i dont exactly come from a rich family and I probably need to look for some local scholarship programme that i can get from my country, so i might want to make sure its worth going to a top university in exchange for the time and money spent.
Last edited by _seannlee_; 1 week ago
harrysbar
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Bristol is definitely worth considering for maths yes, as while it is slightly less competitive than some of the others on your list, you do need a safer option for your 5th choice. Another course that fills that same criteria of being a safer bet (but still a top uni) is Leeds so you might like to take a look at their course also.

https://courses.leeds.ac.uk/4627/mat...s-bsc#section3

With Oxford, I wouldn't really like to say what your chances but I do know that they give good quality advice to potential applicants, so I would send them an email and ask them to give you advice as to how they would view your predicted grades and other aspects of your application. You should also try posting on the Oxford Univeristy sub forum on TSR, as they sometimes have visiting admissions staff advising applicants on there.
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Bristol - here is the course page https://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/unde...s-for-finance/

If you go to the bottom of this page, you will see a link for 'Admissions Statement'. This document will give you all the info about how Bristol scores/processes applications for this course. For many courses at Bristol they will make 'aspirational offers' - ie. they will accept predicted grades just below their requirements - but I dont know if Maths courses do this.

As above - spread your choices. The usual advice is : one choice just above your predicted grades, 2 or 3 at your predicted grades, and at least 1 choice below your predicted grades. This increases your chance of a offer (there is nothing worse than 5 straight rejections) and means that you will have a good Insurance choice in case you dont get the results you expect.
swanseajack1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
As others have said I would recommend a slightly lower graded university. Given it seems your interest is Stats I would look into Lancaster who have one of the best Maths/ stats courses in the UK. They dont offer mechanics. Their Maths course is Pure Maths and stats. My gut feeling is to leave LSE and Imperial and look into your other choices with Lancaster as your insurance choice. Another option would be Bath.
https://www.thecompleteuniversitygui...?s=Mathematics
Last edited by swanseajack1; 1 week ago
_seannlee_
Rep:
?
(Original post by harrysbar)
Bristol is definitely worth considering for maths yes, as while it is slightly less competitive than some of the others on your list, you do need a safer option for your 5th choice. Another course that fills that same criteria of being a safer bet (but still a top uni) is Leeds so you might like to take a look at their course also.

https://courses.leeds.ac.uk/4627/mat...s-bsc#section3

With Oxford, I wouldn't really like to say what your chances but I do know that they give good quality advice to potential applicants, so I would send them an email and ask them to give you advice as to how they would view your predicted grades and other aspects of your application. You should also try posting on the Oxford Univeristy sub forum on TSR, as they sometimes have visiting admissions staff advising applicants on there.
will do thanks!!
_seannlee_
Rep:
?
(Original post by returnmigrant)
Bristol - here is the course page https://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/unde...s-for-finance/

If you go to the bottom of this page, you will see a link for 'Admissions Statement'. This document will give you all the info about how Bristol scores/processes applications for this course. For many courses at Bristol they will make 'aspirational offers' - ie. they will accept predicted grades just below their requirements - but I dont know if Maths courses do this.

As above - spread your choices. The usual advice is : one choice just above your predicted grades, 2 or 3 at your predicted grades, and at least 1 choice below your predicted grades. This increases your chance of a offer (there is nothing worse than 5 straight rejections) and means that you will have a good Insurance choice in case you dont get the results you expect.
The thing is i meet most of the entry requirements if you dont take my further maths into account. I've been predicted 3A* for my other 3 subjects other than further maths. the thing is the uni's arent that clear on whether they will take this as an alternative for not having a good further maths grade. Such as LSE where they say AAA is required and Further Maths is highly desirable. But they didnt say that it is compulsory. So i definitely fulfill the AAA requirement but idk if my further maths would screw up the application
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 21 Sep '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 21 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 21 Sep '19

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (8)
6.45%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (69)
55.65%
No (47)
37.9%

Watched Threads