5.88%
Someone else (3)
17.65%
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
magic granpa.... give the old buffoon something useful to do.
CoffeeAndPolitics
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Lindsay Hoyle would be my preferred choice as he's already doing a great job as Deputy Speaker. Second preference would be someone else though I'm not sure whom ... would be nice to have more female candidates like Harriet Harman standing.
Burton Bridge
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics)
Lindsay Hoyle would be my preferred choice as he's already doing a great job as Deputy Speaker. Second preference would be someone else though I'm not sure whom ... would be nice to have more female candidates like Harriet Harman standing.
Can I genuinely ask why it is that people want a female to do a neutral role in the house of commons?

Why is is so hard to just see talent?
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Burton Bridge)
I disagree, how so, can you explain what you mean ?
I mean that as per the PM's seat, constituents are not just left and they get extra attention and resources to allow for the fact that their MP has a constitutional role and can't reasonably be expected to be taking surgeries twice a week or reading all the letters.
CoffeeAndPolitics
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Can I genuinely ask why it is that people want a female to do a neutral role in the house of commons?

Why is is so hard to just see talent?
Do you have a problem with having a female Speaker? In the history of the House of Commons, we've only ever had one female Speaker in Betty Boothroyd and she was one brilliant Speaker. I don't think it's unreasonable at all to suggest that it's about time we should have another one and it'll be a great way to show to all women around the world that they can too achieve absolutely anything in life. With regards to your last question, there's a number of different candidates who have already confirmed their candidacy for the vacancy of Speaker whether very experienced or not and this has nothing to do with talent in my opinion. This is about electing a new Speaker who can command the authority and respect of the House, someone who maintain order in the House and uphold constitutional convention and most importantly of all, be impartial.
Burton Bridge
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics)
Do you have a problem with having a female Speaker? In the history of the House of Commons, we've only ever had one female Speaker in Betty Boothroyd and she was one brilliant Speaker. I don't think it's unreasonable at all to suggest that it's about time we should have another one and it'll be a great way to show to all women around the world that they can too achieve absolutely anything in life. With regards to your last question, there's a number of different candidates who have already confirmed their candidacy for the vacancy of Speaker whether very experienced or not and this has nothing to do with talent in my opinion. This is about electing a new Speaker who can command the authority and respect of the House, someone who maintain order in the House and uphold constitutional convention and most importantly of all, be impartial.
Why would you assume I have a problem with having a female speaker? I have a problem with the assumption that as soon questions as to why you want a female speaker and over a Male, you assume I have sexist issues and not the original sexist comment I speak about.

Betty was a far superior speaker to John, John has been a poor speaker who has tarnished himself over the Brexit issue and abused his power. The fact john is either loved or hated proves this, Betty was a excellent example of how the speaker should conduct themselves but that had nothing to do with what's between her legs.

My question I will re-ask, Why is is so hard to just see talent? I agree with your last sentence, This is about electing a new Speaker who can command the authority and respect of the House, someone who maintain order in the House and uphold constitutional convention and most importantly of all, be impartial.

We should not be looking at sex,race colour or creed when selecting a person for a job.
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Why would you assume I have a problem with having a female speaker? I have a problem with the assumption that as soon questions as to why you want a female speaker and over a Male, you assume I have sexist issues and not the original sexist comment I speak about.

Betty was a far superior speaker to John, John has been a poor speaker who has tarnished himself over the Brexit issue and abused his power. The fact john is either loved or hated proves this, Betty was a excellent example of how the speaker should conduct themselves but that had nothing to do with what's between her legs.

My question I will re-ask, Why is is so hard to just see talent? I agree with your last sentence, This is about electing a new Speaker who can command the authority and respect of the House, someone who maintain order in the House and uphold constitutional convention and most importantly of all, be impartial.

We should not be looking at sex,race colour or creed when selecting a person for a job.
I think history is likely to acknowledge Bercow’s biases and regard him as the last Speaker to preside over a Commons without a proper management structure for the House staff.

However, I think Bercow will go down as one of the great Speakers, not for Brexit, but for keeping the Commons politically relevant.

The Minister for the Today Programme is a far less important government office in 2019 than it was in 2009. I regard Boris’ Peoples’ Question Time on Facebook as a travesty.

I don’t think Bercow has “preserved the rights of backbenchers” as such. The rights of backbenchers were the the rights to make tedious speeches to an empty chamber on irrelevant subjects that went down well with the local media back home. Speakers Weatherill and Boothroyd were far better at that.

Rather, Bercow has concentrated on the key political figures and allowed them to speak time and time again. Hoey and Bone and Letwin and Benn have been called on every Brexit debate. I suspect another Speaker would have carefully collected the whips’ lists of who wanted to speak and we would have had backbencher after backbencher parroting the lines of the Government and Opposition. Hoey and Benn, Bone and Letwin would still have been debating, but on Channel 4 News.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (201)
23.96%
Pop (208)
24.79%
Jazz (33)
3.93%
Classical (46)
5.48%
Hip-Hop (162)
19.31%
Electronic (57)
6.79%
Indie (132)
15.73%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise