eclipseboi
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I'm applying to study History and Economics at Oxford, as well as Economics and Economic History at LSE, whilst my other UCAS choices (UCL, St. Andrews, Leeds) are all straight Economics courses.

The teacher at my school who is helping me with my application has advised me to emphasise my reasoning for choosing a joint honours degree, and to include more discussion of History in my PS. After taking this advice, the broad structure of my PS is now as follows:

P1: Why History AND Economics
P2: Related to Keynes' Economic Consequences of the Peace, explaining the importance of economic factors in rise of Nazism
P3: Related to Ha-Joon Chang's Kicking Away the Ladder, explaining the importance of historical analysis in tackling current economic issues
P4 + P5: Discussion of Economics, including Nudge, forecasting.
P6: Quick mention of extracurriculars
P7: What I'm excited to do within my degree

Does this seem as if it will be adequate for the combination of courses I'm going for? It would also be great if anyone who has applied for HIstory and Economics, Economic History or any related courses would be willing to give my PS a read.

Thanks
Charlotte's Web
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by eclipseboi)
I'm applying to study History and Economics at Oxford, as well as Economics and Economic History at LSE, whilst my other UCAS choices (UCL, St. Andrews, Leeds) are all straight Economics courses.

The teacher at my school who is helping me with my application has advised me to emphasise my reasoning for choosing a joint honours degree, and to include more discussion of History in my PS. After taking this advice, the broad structure of my PS is now as follows:

P1: Why History AND Economics
P2: Related to Keynes' Economic Consequences of the Peace, explaining the importance of economic factors in rise of Nazism
P3: Related to Ha-Joon Chang's Kicking Away the Ladder, explaining the importance of historical analysis in tackling current economic issues
P4 + P5: Discussion of Economics, including Nudge, forecasting.
P6: Quick mention of extracurriculars
P7: What I'm excited to do within my degree

Does this seem as if it will be adequate for the combination of courses I'm going for? It would also be great if anyone who has applied for HIstory and Economics, Economic History or any related courses would be willing to give my PS a read.

Thanks
Some of your paragraphs sound like they might be more like an essay than a personal statement. It's important to remember that from the admissions' tutor's perspective, they aren't particularly interested in analysis of any texts, they are interested in why you want to study this degree and the skills you have which will help you succeed on the degree. We also generally recommend that you have between 3-5 paragraphs - any more and it's likely that your statement won't go into enough depth and won't flow too well.

If you would like your PS to be reviewed, we have a free PS Review service you can find here:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/for...lay.php?f=1372

Please don't send your PS to anyone you don't know (in real life) and trust. Plagiarism is a major issue and you may be putting your university offers at risk.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 21 Sep '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 21 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 21 Sep '19

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (8)
6.25%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (72)
56.25%
No (48)
37.5%

Watched Threads