FAILED GCSES, Private candidate? Help Watch

AllThings_
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hello; so I did well in eng Lang and eng lit, I achieved a 5 which is okay, and a 4 in maths, I achieved 3’s in other subjects. (A remark would not solve my issue) I am now in dire need to resit my GCSEs, this is a very embarrassing topic.

I went to a college to resit GCSEs and I was told I didn’t have the requirements? Which is odd since I didn’t know you needed entry requirements for a GCSE resit. Furthermore due to my medical issue (which I have obtained a doctors note for) My attendance is is quite low so that’s a key factor.

Regardless my question right now is am I able to apply as a private candidate to edexcel or an exam board? I’m not entirely sure what a private candidate is, however I’d just like to apply to do 2-4 GCSEs resit this summer and instead of going to a school/college (since it’s proving difficult) I simply buy the books need and focus very hard on my studies. If that is an option I’d happily take that and I’m confident I’ll be able to achieve a higher mark.

Please give me your suggestions and let me know if what I’m saying exists and is possible. I know some companies do this but they cost thousands, and I’d hate to put my family through that..

Thank you
Camerooni
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
A private candidate is someone who sits exams at a school or college but is not a student there. You'd need to get into contact with nearby schools and colleges to see if they would accept you as a private candidate. You wouldn't be enrolled there, you'd just turn up to sit the exams and collect your results.

https://www.aqa.org.uk/student-and-p...ate-candidates
Ukhan252
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
watch ibz mo's vids on his education experience
Ukhan252
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
get a job and resit again if you have to, or do a btec , or one of the other million HE education courses
Ukhan252
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by AllThings_)
Hello; so I did well in eng Lang and eng lit, I achieved a 5 which is okay, and a 4 in maths, I achieved 3’s in other subjects. (A remark would not solve my issue) I am now in dire need to resit my GCSEs, this is a very embarrassing topic.

I went to a college to resit GCSEs and I was told I didn’t have the requirements? Which is odd since I didn’t know you needed entry requirements for a GCSE resit. Furthermore due to my medical issue (which I have obtained a doctors note for) My attendance is is quite low so that’s a key factor.

Regardless my question right now is am I able to apply as a private candidate to edexcel or an exam board? I’m not entirely sure what a private candidate is, however I’d just like to apply to do 2-4 GCSEs resit this summer and instead of going to a school/college (since it’s proving difficult) I simply buy the books need and focus very hard on my studies. If that is an option I’d happily take that and I’m confident I’ll be able to achieve a higher mark.

Please give me your suggestions and let me know if what I’m saying exists and is possible. I know some companies do this but they cost thousands, and I’d hate to put my family through that.

find a private ucas center in your area, call them up, might be pricey...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (39)
7.59%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (299)
58.17%
No (176)
34.24%

Watched Threads