The Student Room Group

Is it weird to message someone on Instagram I just met?

I met an old friend today, and they've transferred to my college. I haven't seem them in 5 years. I'm not friended on instagram with this person but I'm friended with their friends from his old school. We talked for like 2 minutes after school as we caught up. But that's all. We use to be like, best friends? So I did a quick search and found him on instagram but idk if it's socially acceptable to...message him uno, without it being super strange?
Original post by Sugoistar
I met an old friend today, and they've transferred to my college. I haven't seem them in 5 years. I'm not friended on instagram with this person but I'm friended with their friends from his old school. We talked for like 2 minutes after school as we caught up. But that's all. We use to be like, best friends? So I did a quick search and found him on instagram but idk if it's socially acceptable to...message him uno, without it being super strange?

I mean it's only really you who can judge your relationship and whether they might consider it strange. It might be best to keep it very casual in terms of just saying 'it was nice to catch up with you the other day, how have you been' or similar, so that they don't feel obliged to respond in any detail if they don't want to.
i dont have instagram
Sounds fine.
Reply 4
Yeah it’s strange because it’s not like you won’t be seeing them soon so it’ll seem desperate. ‘Bump’ into him and have the chat. Or I guess you could pop up and ask something like “how are you settling into *insert college name*” then offer him to feel free to hang out with your group, etc. That’d be nice.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending