The Student Room Group
Freshers week
University of Westminster
London
Visit website

university of westminster

Is this Westminster good for International relations and development
Hi there,
I study International relations and development studies and I am in my final year. For someone who didn't study politics and knew nothing about politics or International relations I have actually enjoyed doing International relations and development studies course at Westminster. Partly also because the modules I choose were interesting and challenging for me.

My overall experience of this uni is that so far it has been quite good-quality faculty, education and facilities: politics and International relations department staff are always helpful and supportive when it comes to assisting you with your deadlines/coursework or being understanding when you are juggling a part time job and several deadlines.
It could be a difficult degree for someone who's very new to politics but the level of support I have received from my module leaders and teachers has been brilliant .

I hope my response is helpful for you :smile:
Freshers week
University of Westminster
London
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Hi there,
I study International relations and development studies and I am in my final year. For someone who didn't study politics and knew nothing about politics or International relations I have actually enjoyed doing International relations and development studies course at Westminster. Partly also because the modules I choose were interesting and challenging for me.

My overall experience of this uni is that so far it has been quite good-quality faculty, education and facilities: politics and International relations department staff are always helpful and supportive when it comes to assisting you with your deadlines/coursework or being understanding when you are juggling a part time job and several deadlines.
It could be a difficult degree for someone who's very new to politics but the level of support I have received from my module leaders and teachers has been brilliant .

I hope my response is helpful for you :smile:

Do you regret not going to a different uni to study this course because I’m not so sure about studying it here and am thinking to take a gap year and apply to SOAS next year. They could’ve taken me on their foundation course this year but they were full now all I have is Westminster and I don’t know what to do. It’s a big decision that I cannot rush. What are hoping to do career wise after this degree. Thank you for your reply and good luck in your final year!
Original post by Anisa784
Do you regret not going to a different uni to study this course because I’m not so sure about studying it here and am thinking to take a gap year and apply to SOAS next year. They could’ve taken me on their foundation course this year but they were full now all I have is Westminster and I don’t know what to do. It’s a big decision that I cannot rush. What are hoping to do career wise after this degree. Thank you for your reply and good luck in your final year!

Nope I don't regret! If you don't keep up your interest and passion for your course you will eventually end up messing up your grade no matter which uni you go. From my experience, I have learnt that It’s not about which uni is top for your course it’s about how can YOU make it and maintain that grade you are expecting to get when you join that great university. If you work hard put extra effort with your grade, doing internships or part time job along with your degree you will get the grade you want it no matter which uni you decide to go honestly.

You should visit us in our opening days, see our campus and module teachers that will give you a good experience.
You may want to visit us this month before enrolment dates for this course, have a quick tour at our uni or have a quick talk with the politics and international relations department staff so you can get an idea how they teach.

Gap year experience can be wonderful as long as you utilise that year in the most productive way.
If you really want to go SOAS and feel SOAS will give the experience you are looking for then go ahead. I hope you don’t mind me asking: Are you going to re-sit your a levels during your gap year? If you can that’s great too

I was supposed to go to a different uni during a level time but I choose Westminster because the first person that reassured me that I will be okay with this course and a new change was the module leader of my course. Yes, I wanted to go to uni which were higher in Russell group but a good university experience is so important, it just makes a huge difference to your career and grade wise too.

You should try checking out the modules for the course in both uni’s website and see what similarities/differences are there in terms of their modules and it's teaching? What careers do both course offer and how do they differ uni wise? Checking and searching areas like that might help you to decide which uni is best for you.

For politics and International relations course’s, the main campus is in oxford circus which is cool for me since I can always buy or get whatever I want especially during emergency times fortunately.

I am currently looking on Met Police career and social service career mainly like social work. Doing this course has allowed me the opportunity to look forward to variety of careers. You can be and do anything you want.

Thank you and I wish you the best, hope you find the uni that suits you the best! Don't rush your decision based on other people's judgement on university . Go and have a look at both univeristy . What do they offer for you in terms of grade wise, career wise, location, teaching and overall experience ( what different society or clubs are there for you to join, what does the student union do at SOAS and Westminster ? does the university offers support for placements , which university of Westminster does by the way ! )

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending